• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Finding a song

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Anyone else start learning a little bit with what you're doing with the guitar and then you go to learn a song but a week later you're just like "nah fuck that I'm going to learn this song instead" and then later down the road you drop that song for another one and just end up finding it hard to find a song you want to play? That has been me since joining the community and so many times I have posted saying "I'm going to learn this song" or "I'm going to practice this technique til I master it" and then end up getting really disappointed with my results. Well I've finally found the song I want to play for my first cover! By The Sword by Slash! I grew up listening to this song in high school and even learned the first lick when I was 15. Unfortunately I learned that lick by tabs and found out that's not how Slash plays it at all! So I had to unlearn how to play it one way to learn how it's actually played and I couldnt be happier with my results off of it. This is definitely a song I will be sticking with and will hopefully be posting a video soon. There's a lot of work to be done so I can't say for sure when I'll have it uploaded but hopefully within the next month or so I should be ready to record a cover video 😁 wish me luck!:rock-hand::spinning-guitar:

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Yup, that's me. That's why I have one week song goals now. I learn one song a week, sometimes random songs, sometimes suggestions. I try not to play songs I have too slow down under 75% speed but it doesn't matter if I don't get it up to 100% because if I can't find a song I'll look back at previous songs that week. It seems to work for me

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Oh boy, I feel you there! I've done it so many times, whether it be songs, scales, techniques, theory stuff in general... Though I'm currently trying to put together some sort of list of things to tackle, including a lot of the basics again and hopefully this time I'll be able to stick with it!
    Yup, that's me. That's why I have one week song goals now. I learn one song a week, sometimes random songs, sometimes suggestions. I try not to play songs I have too slow down under 75% speed but it doesn't matter if I don't get it up to 100% because if I can't find a song I'll look back at previous songs that week. It seems to work for me
    Honestly, I really like this idea! I might have to give this a go... :rock-hand: :skull: :rock-hand:

• Love
    Reactions: Lindsey

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Its been a while since I've had to dedicate time to learn a song so I'm still at the point where no matter what I'll have to slow it down below 75% but once I get into the habit of finding those chords again I'll be back to learning songs quickly. I haven't played guitar since I was 16 when I went to military school. I'm 24 now so it's been a while 😅

Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Its been a while since I've had to dedicate time to learn a song so I'm still at the point where no matter what I'll have to slow it down below 75% but once I get into the habit of finding those chords again I'll be back to learning songs quickly. I haven't played guitar since I was 16 when I went to military school. I'm 24 now so it's been a while 😅
    It's important to slow it waaay down for the muscle memory and to really getting the notes in, but for me it's the speed of the song that's an issue. So that's why I set a limit to prevent frustration.
    You'll get there again!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'd try not to worry too much about jumping from song to song too much, as learning different of parts of different songs teaches you more guitar vocabulary that you can use for writing your own riffs/songs - so really whether you finnish a song or not you're always learning and upping your game 👌 Learning tunes is just helping you find your own voice on the instrument 😊

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have the same issue :)
    What i Liked was Dominik one month challenge, to play 1 song for a month. Normally I change too much betwen songs, i try to commit to 1 - 2 songs, but doesnt always work for me