• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Finger is muting string while Playing chords.

Mikey7889

Free Bird Player
May 19, 2021
I'm not sure what the issue is here. Are my fingers fat? Is it ultimately my technique? I'm not sure how to solve this problem. It's really difficult to play chords because the tip of my fingers keep touching the open strings and muting them, making the chord sound flat and dull. I've always had this problem playing guitar.

Reactions: Audentio

AdLeIaVdE

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Germany
    For me personally it was helpful to use my other hand to help place my fingers on the right strings in the beginning. Some chords just felt kind of weird and it helped knowing how the right placement of the fingers even felt. After doing that a few times my left hand was able to play the chord without help and with a relatively clean sound.

Reactions: Mikey7889
    Upvote 0

Mikey7889

Free Bird Player
    May 19, 2021
    For me personally it was helpful to use my other hand to help place my fingers on the right strings in the beginning. Some chords just felt kind of weird and it helped knowing how the right placement of the fingers even felt. After doing that a few times my left hand was able to play the chord without help and with a relatively clean sound.
    That's really good advice, thank you.

Reactions: AdLeIaVdE
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I think that in the end is a matter of practice and building up "good habits". Try to pay extra attention to how your finger are positioned, and strum the chord, if it sounds ok, make sure that you land on that position while playing as much as you can. Go as slow as you need to. That's what I did and things got better :)

Upvote 0