• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

floyd rose going out of tune

Siddharth

Music Theory Bragger
Jan 19, 2021
i was learning for the love of god by steve vai and theres this part after the bridge where he does this whole step bend and pulls up on his whammy bar at the same time.when i used to do that it used to be alright now my a stting keeps going out of tune.i can do some crazy divebombs and shit and it wont go outta tune but that just puts it outta tune.floyd rose special btw

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Could be a number of factors: age of strings, levelness of the bridge (is it sitting flat still?), intonation could be out of whack, relief of the neck....etc.

Since it's only one string, I would probably start with restringing if you have not done that in awhile.

Upvote 0

Siddharth

Music Theory Bragger
    Jan 19, 2021
    Could be a number of factors: age of strings, levelness of the bridge (is it sitting flat still?), intonation could be out of whack, relief of the neck....etc.

Since it's only one string, I would probably start with restringing if you have not done that in awhile.
    my strings are bout 2 weeks old
    bridge is parallel to the body
    intonations fine
    im not sure about the neck

Upvote 0

Siddharth

Music Theory Bragger
    Jan 19, 2021
    I wonder if perhaps the locking nut screws aren't tight enough? That could be a cause. Also strings not fully stretched. Those are the first things to check.
    the nuts tight enough when i push behind the nut nothin happens to the pitch.idk how to check stretchin em but ive really put the whammy to work in the past 2 weeks lotta dimes divebombs and shit

Upvote 0

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    my strings are bout 2 weeks old
    bridge is parallel to the body
    intonations fine
    im not sure about the neck
    It's probably not the neck if all the rest of the strings are fine. I suppose the string could have come loose in the saddle, but there is not much room there to really come loose.

I suppose it could be a bad string as well.

Reactions: Shade and Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Siddharth

Music Theory Bragger
    Jan 19, 2021
    i sadly do not have the budget.thanks tho!
    It's a common trait of the Floyd Rose Special since it's the affordable version of the original Floyd Rose. If you got the budget to swap out to, say, a Gotoh Floating Trem, then get it done because the Gotoh trem is an amazing sub for the FR special in place of the original FR at a friendly cost

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection