• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Floyd rose pitch range

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hi,
For those with a floating bridge...how many half steps can you raise the pitch before the string hits a fret and buzzes/mutes? For example my G-string (lol) can go 6 half steps (G to C#) but right before it gets to D it hits the frets and becomes a harmonic and then dies out.

I'm not sure how high you should be able to go without hitting the frets...otherwise I would lower my action more but I don't know what ammount of room my floyd rose should have.

Thanks!

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
Hi,
For those with a floating bridge...how many half steps can you raise the pitch before the string hits a fret and buzzes/mutes? For example my G-string (lol) can go 6 half steps (G to C#) but right before it gets to D it hits the frets and becomes a harmonic and then dies out.

I'm not sure how high you should be able to go without hitting the frets...otherwise I would lower my action more but I don't know what ammount of room my floyd rose should have.

Thanks!
You should be able to play up to the 22-24 fret. You can check your height and tension on your FR and make minor adjustments as needed. Double check that the FR base is parallel to the guitar body from a lengthwise perspective. If you've changed string gauge then the tension will need to be adjusted slightly. You can even file troublesome frets down a bit if needed. Was the guitar set up professionally? Or has the tuning been changed?

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
You should be able to play up to the 22-24 fret. You can check your height and tension on your FR and make minor adjustments as needed. Double check that the FR base is parallel to the guitar body from a lengthwise perspective. If you've changed string gauge then the tension will need to be adjusted slightly. You can even file troublesome frets down a bit if needed. Was the guitar set up professionally? Or has the tuning been changed?

Wdym 22-24 fret? I'm saying if I play an open g string, and use my floyd to raise the pitch...how high should the pitch be able to be raised?
Right now it can go up 6 half steps haha

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
Wdym 22-24 fret? I'm saying if I play an open g string, and use my floyd to raise the pitch...how high should the pitch be able to be raised?
Right now it can go up 6 half steps haha
Ah, I gotcha. Lol. Three full steps sound like a pretty good pitch shift. I guess you should be able to whammy until the string or neck breaks 💀
I don't think I go much more that 2 steps since I had a string pop out of the saddle and I'm gun shy now.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    TBH, that sounds like a lot. I don't think I've ever tested that because usually if I want that much of an increase, I'd depress it some before hitting the note. No sense chancing a broken string, pulling it quite so taut. That said, if you don't really see the NEED to be able to raise it quite that much, then by all means lower your action some! Two full steps would seem to be more than enough for most players.

Reactions: Bellah83

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    Hi,

Thanks!
    Well my e can go 3 semitones and the drop d can only go up to one semitone :) other strings somewhere around both of these. My trem is blocked by the round thing that you screw your trem arm in

Synner Endless Summer Collection