• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Floyd Rose Problem

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Germany
Every time I use my Floyd Rose, the guitar goes out of tune. Meanwhile I avoid using the bridge because I don't want the guitar to go out of tune during a song.
Now I thought to myself, maybe one of the synners can help me.
So, has anyone of you ever had this problem and how did you solve it?

(I have already changed the springs because I thought they might be too old. But that didn't work either.)

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    If you utilize the search field and search "floyd rose" on this site you will find quite a bit of information for trouble shooting. Captain Ed has a great video for caring and feeding your Floyd I always like to reference since i learned a bunch from it as well!

I would start with making sure the deck of the trem is perfectly parallel with the body of the guitar. Are the strings fairly new?

This set up has seemed to work well for me so far...10-52 skinny top heavy bottom strings...dropped D and standard tuning only (i still have to adjust my trem springs alternating between the two very slightly to keep the trem parallel).....(3) floyd rose black noiseless trem springs. Trem springs are installed equally spaced and parallel to each other. What's yours?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    If you utilize the search field and search "floyd rose" on this site you will find quite a bit of information for trouble shooting. Captain Ed has a great video for caring and feeding your Floyd I always like to reference since i learned a bunch from it as well!

I would start with making sure the deck of the trem is perfectly parallel with the body of the guitar. Are the strings fairly new?

This set up has seemed to work well for me so far...10-52 skinny top heavy bottom strings...dropped D and standard tuning only (i still have to adjust my trem springs alternating between the two very slightly to keep the trem parallel).....(3) floyd rose black noiseless trem springs. Trem springs are installed equally spaced and parallel to each other. What's yours?
    Got the same problem with new or old strings (and yes, I bend the new strings before using it)

My guitar is tuned in Drop C. (Earnie Ball 12-56)
    The springs aren't parallel to each other. Could that be a problem?
    Also the springs are nameless. So, no Floyd Rose springs. Could that be another problem? Is there a big difference in the quality of the floyd rose springs?

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    20200420_191845.jpg

That's how I stretched the springs

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    View attachment 685
    That's how I stretched the springs

Ahhh, this helps out a bunch!! It looks like the springs are not really stretched out that much at all....as if maybe you have one too many springs installed.

If i was in your position i would try out playing with only three springs. First re-hook the furthest right spring to the furthest right claw...then remove the second to left spring completely. Then turn the claw screws in a full turn or two. Afterwards all the fun begins with re tuning a million times and leveling the deck of the trem again!

As far as the quality of the springs between floyd rose and others im not sure however i know there is different tensions available for particular lengths or "turns" of springs.

Reactions: Nocturne

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    Ahhh, this helps out a bunch!! It looks like the springs are not really stretched out that much at all....as if maybe you have one too many springs installed.

If i was in your position i would try out playing with only three springs. First re-hook the furthest right spring to the furthest right claw...then remove the second to left spring completely. Then turn the claw screws in a full turn or two. Afterwards all the fun begins with re tuning a million times and leveling the deck of the trem again!

As far as the quality of the springs between floyd rose and others im not sure however i know there is different tensions available for particular lengths or "turns" of springs.
    Oh my god, if that helps you are my personal hero!
    I'll give it a try right now!

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    Have fun and take your time! I can’t stress enough how important it is to set it PERFECTLY parallel....like right on the gnats ass perfect 😂
    Jacques?
    You are my hero!
    It seems to be a lot better than before. I guess if I restring the guitar with new strings the result will be even better.

If I can ever do anything for you, let me know. Thank you!

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Jacques?
    You are my hero!
    It seems to be a lot better than before. I guess if I restring the guitar with new strings the result will be even better.

If I can ever do anything for you, let me know. Thank you!

Nice, anytime!!! You did that quick too, well done! Yup like you said, keeping up with new strings often certainly helps too.

Much appreciated! I see you have one of the almighty fractal axe fx's!! I might have to bug you with a ton of questions once i get mine lol Wont be anytime soon unfortunately but it will happen!!

Reactions: Cedric L

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    Nice, anytime!!! You did that quick too, well done! Yup like you said, keeping up with new strings often certainly helps too.

Much appreciated! I see you have one of the almighty fractal axe fx's!! I might have to bug you with a ton of questions once i get mine lol Wont be anytime soon unfortunately but it will happen!!
    Sure! You can ask me! But I warn you before, I know only the basic things.
    There are so many functions, effects, cabs,... I still get to know new things about that monster every day.
    But I would be happy if I can help you :)

Reactions: Jacques

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You think the truss rod could be the problem? I never thought of that :unsure:
    I can make you a video to show you my problem
    Well the if the spring is wearing down.. ideally its have less tension.. which could result in needing an adjustment. I dont know how much wear and tear frs can take but I imagine over time that could change.

Reactions: Cedric L

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    If you are still having issues hit me up and we can do a skype session, there are a lot of things to check on those bad boys and if you can show me your guitar I can show you some possible problem spots :)
    I will change the strings this week. And if I still having this problem I will contact you :) Thank you!

Reactions: Lucas Weiman

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Every time I use my Floyd Rose, the guitar goes out of tune. Meanwhile I avoid using the bridge because I don't want the guitar to go out of tune during a song.
    Now I thought to myself, maybe one of the synners can help me.
    So, has anyone of you ever had this problem and how did you solve it?

(I have already changed the springs because I thought they might be too old. But that didn't work either.)
    The hooks that the screws sit in may be ground down and unfortunately the entire platform would have to be replaced...costs about 100 for a new one on amazon