• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beginner For the beginners to intermediate players out there: What is confusing to you about guitar/music theory?

Beginner Theory

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    What's up, everybody! I'm thinking of topics to cover for my stream on Saturday, January 1st at 12pm CST on SynTV, and I've been wanting to explain something theory-related about the guitar or even help people understand how to do something easier/better/quicker, etc.

• Do you have any questions you feel need real-time answers/explanations?
    • Are you having trouble understanding specific things about chords, scales, visualization, whatever, on the guitar?
    Respond with a summary of your greatest marvels, be sure to tune in on Saturday to get extensive explanations, and I'll answer all of them there!

See you then,
    jooshellis

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    what i read and study in theory makes sense but i dont know how to apply to guitar and practice so it leaves me pretty quick
    That must be how many people feel. I'm not a beginner in playtime, but this holds me back.
    Basically learning "free play" is difficult.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    If there are 7 chords in a chords family and the 7th chord is always present, how do I determine the major/minor chords and how many of each?
    I'm also having a hard time practicing theory. Is theory a way to understand something?
    I'll try to think of more
    If you're in major the 1 4 and 5 chords are major. If you're in minor the 1 4 and 5 chords are minor. That's why 145 chord progressions are popular.

If you want to visualise it on the fretboard; The 4th chord root note is one string above the 1st. In Am 1 (am) is on the fifth fret E string, 4 (Dm) is on the fifth fret on the A string. The 5th starts on the seventh fret on the A string. That pattern is always the same.

1am 2Bdim 3C 4Dm 5Em 6F 7G

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    If you're in major the 1 4 and 5 chords are major. If you're in minor the 1 4 and 5 chords are minor. That's why 145 chord progressions are popular.

If you want to visualise it on the fretboard; The 4th chord root note is one string above the 1st. In Am 1 (am) is on the fifth fret E string, 4 (Dm) is on the fifth fret on the A string. The 5th starts on the seventh fret on the A string. That pattern is always the same.

Okay, I'm going to try it later

Reactions: Lindsey

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

Great response.
    And something I didnt know about 1 4 5. Makes a lot of sense tho right?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've learned the 7 chords of a major scale with beato.book help but I never realized the 145 works both ways and has essentially the same.intervals going on. Which honestly can get boring to me personally. All.songs literally sound the same just in a different key.

Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I've learned the 7 chords of a major scale with beato.book help but I never realized the 145 works both ways and has essentially the same.intervals going on. Which honestly can get boring to me personally. All.songs literally sound the same just in a different key.
    If you want something different you can make modulations. That's often done on the 4th chord. I just saw a video about that recently. It's quiet interesting.

Reactions: Gabby Heafy
    Synner Endless Summer Collection