• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fret Buzz On the High Strings

Mark Laszutko

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Canada
Hey everyone, I got my guitar setup back in January and it was great, but I noticed over the past month or so on the first 2-3 strings there's extreme fret buzz on the lower frets. Pretty much frets 1-4 have a VERY distinct metal clang to it, I'm wondering what can be done.

I have the Synyster Gates Custom-S, so it is a Floyd bridge. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This is most likely a result of the change of seasons. If you're comfortable with it, loosen the truss rod 1/4 turn, and then let it sit overnight. Tune up and see if it's better. If it's better but still not good, give it another 1/.4 turn and another night to settle. Make a note of how much you turned it, and in which direction. Come October, you'll want to undo it for the winter, then play it all out again in the spring.

The place that set it up for you will likely be happy to show you how to do it the first time for a few bucks if you're not sure.