• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

FRIZZLE FRY by Primus

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo Family!

For this month’s #AOTM rec, I’m rollin w Frizzle Fry by the one and only Primus, a power trio from 11th dimensional hyperspace.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with Primus, or 11th dimensional hyperspace, buckle the fuck up. This band is funky, heavy, avant-garde, and utterly ridiculous in the most amazing ways.

If you recall from the first AOTM, Disco Volante, I told you that The Rev had made me a mix tape of a ton of avant-garde music and Primus’s Mr. Knowitall was on it. I had heard of them before but every time they came on MTV(👴🏻), I’d change the channel. My virgin ears and eyes couldn’t grasp the brilliance that was not only their music, but their entire hora. Most especially, their music videos with brilliant claymation and surrealism, would instantaneously transport you to another dimension.

Mr. Knowitall was the gateway drug into the rest of the opium den that was The Rev’s mix tape:rainbow-skull:. I obsessed over this song and subsequently Frizzle Fry for an entire year.

I used to travel with my Dad and his band during summers growing up and the keyboard player, my Uncle Randy, had this amazing portable CD player(👴🏻) and I use to “borrow” it to no end. He was always super cool to me and was a huge Primus fan as well so that particular summer was an amazing bonding experience and memory.

As I’m sure a lot of you feel, bonding with someone over music is as great a therapy and catharsis as there is. There’s only one other shared experience with a loved one that rivals it and I shan’t mention what that is because we aren’t here to spoil one’s adolescence.
Fine, Bruce Willis movies:rock-hand:

And that is one hell of a sexy segue into the heart of Frizzle Fry-

The über imaginative playing and songwriting of Les Claypool made me want to be a bassist and songwriter. The creativity and groove of Tim Alexander made me want to play the drums. The extraordinary mind of Larry LaLonde made me wanna quit guitar. I couldn’t fathom how he came up with his parts. My mind simply did not work like that.......yet😈

Favorite tracks include-

Groundhogs Day- an ostensibly simple groove but impossible to make groove without a LOT of practice. The solo section after the double time pick up(band plays faster) explores a wide range of colors from diminished, parallel major/minor, classical cliches with a twist, and much more. Probably my favorite song on the record.

Too Many Puppies- This is the first cover song I jammed with The Rev. For a couple years we’d just jam extemporaneously but as he began transcribing a myriad of super interesting music, I did as well, often wrong but never right🤡

Mr. Knowitall- First Primus song I ever got into thanks to that magical little opium den.:rainbow-mushroom: Great song, great lyric, great dynamics.

John the Fisherman- Second song I jammed with Jimmy. At 13 years old, our set list consisted of these two Primus songs, Say it Ain’t So by Weezer, and What is Hip by Tower of Power. An eclectic bunch a shit to say the least.

Frizzle Fry- a solid mention simply for one of my fav lyrics I still quote to this day due to its wide application: “I do believe in Captain Crunch, for I am the Frizzle Fry”

Spegetti Western- Not my fav song but hands down one of my top 3 or 5 favorite drum grooves of all time. Sheer brilliance.

Gimme those purdy little mother fuckin thoughts of yours

:spinning-guitar:

All my love,

SYN
:syngates:

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Hello syn!! :) how are you going?! I don't know the album and I've never heard it before, the album cover is a little creepy! Lol! I'm going to listen to it and give you my opinion! It's so good to read all the details you write, it's very interesting, loved it! Thank you very much to sharing with us! and know that Jimmy showed you this music! ♥️ I love you Bello! sending a lot of love to you! ♥️ 🤘

Last edited:
    G

Gemma G.S.

I can't wait to get into this one when I get home later. Before I saw Primus at Aftershock, years ago, I can't remember if I had ever heard them before, but I'm sure I had.

But I do remember standing there in the crowd and loving how weirdly groovy they were - and then I remember turning to my friend to say "did he just say 'too many puppies'??" 😆

This'll be a fun way to wind down after work! 🤘🏻

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I’ll give this a listen! I know of primus but the few songs I heard by them I just can’t get into, the songs I heard were wynona’s big brown beaver and jerry was a race car driver. I can say I love the actual music parts but it’s the vocals I can’t get into. I feel there a band that takes time to like for sure. I hated rush at first for while but now I adore them! So it’s probably the same for primus Also the South Park theme is such a bop:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Hello, Syn! Thank God you posted this and saved my Saturday! I was looking forward to another #AOTM :rock-hand:
    I must say, the first time I tried to listen to Primus was because of the leader of A7X, Johnny Christ. I was like "what is all this craziness?!?!?!", but in a good way hahaha It's so mind blowing, all over the place, weird, fun :explode-skull:
    I'm going to give this a proper listen and come back here later with my notes
    Thank youuu
    I love you ❤

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Fuck yes i love Primus! Les Claypool is extraordinary as a bass player and frontman. When it comes to music genres, primus is in a league all its own.

My first exposure to Primus, although i didnt know it yet, was the South Park theme song 😂 in case you didnt know, that is most definitely Primus doing the theme. Its in every episode’s credits, no bullshit😂 but aside from that, John the Fisherman was the first real song i heard from them. I was blown away as a young kid (i was like 8 or 9 playing guitar hero 2 so like, 06-07?) and it was so funky yet, rocked so hard! I still shamelessy jam to it to this day🤣

Since then, Primus is one of my niche favorites. Their cover of “Devil went down to georgia” is a huge favorite of mine. Hell of a recommendation, Syn! Gonna give this one a good listen! Party on, Brother! 🤘

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy

For this month’s #AOTM rec, I’m rollin w Frizzle Fry by the one and only Primus, a power trio from 11th dimensional hyperspace.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with Primus, or 11th dimensional hyperspace, buckle the fuck up. This band is funky, heavy, avant-garde, and utterly ridiculous in the most amazing ways.

If you recall from the first AOTM, Disco Volante, I told you that The Rev had made me a mix tape of a ton of avant-garde music and Primus’s Mr. Knowitall was on it. I had heard of them before but every time they came on MTV(👴🏻), I’d change the channel. My virgin ears and eyes couldn’t grasp the brilliance that was not only their music, but their entire hora. Most especially, their music videos with brilliant claymation and surrealism, would instantaneously transport you to another dimension.

Mr. Knowitall was the gateway drug into the rest of the opium den that was The Rev’s mix tape:rainbow-skull:. I obsessed over this song and subsequently Frizzle Fry for an entire year.

I used to travel with my Dad and his band during summers growing up and the keyboard player, my Uncle Randy, had this amazing portable CD player(👴🏻) and I use to “borrow” it to no end. He was always super cool to me and was a huge Primus fan as well so that particular summer was an amazing bonding experience and memory.

As I’m sure a lot of you feel, bonding with someone over music is as great a therapy and catharsis as there is. There’s only one other shared experience with a loved one that rivals it and I shan’t mention what that is because we aren’t here to spoil one’s adolescence.

The über imaginative playing and songwriting of Les Claypool made me want to be a bassist and songwriter. The creativity and groove of Tim Alexander made me want to play the drums. The extraordinary mind of Larry LaLonde made me wanna quit guitar. I couldn’t fathom how he came up with his parts. My mind simply did not work like that.......yet😈

Favorite tracks include-

Groundhogs Day- an ostensibly simple groove but impossible to make groove without a LOT of practice. The solo section after the double time pick up(band plays faster) explores a wide range of colors from diminished, parallel major/minor, classical cliches with a twist, and much more. Probably my favorite song on the record.

Too Many Puppies- This is the first cover song I jammed with The Rev. For a couple years we’d just jam extemporaneously but as he began transcribing a myriad of super interesting music, I did as well, often wrong but never right🤡

Mr. Knowitall- First Primus song I ever got into thanks to that magical little opium den.:rainbow-mushroom: Great song, great lyric, great dynamics.

John the Fisherman- Second song I jammed with Jimmy. At 13 years old, our set list consisted of these two Primus songs, Say it Ain’t So by Weezer, and What is Hip by Tower of Power. An eclectic bunch a shit to say the least.

Frizzle Fry- a solid mention simply for one of my fav lyrics I still quote to this day due to its wide application: “I do believe in Captain Crunch, for I am the Frizzle Fry”

Spegetti Western- Not my fav song but hands down one of my top 3 or 5 favorite drum grooves of all time. Sheer brilliance.

All my love,

SYN
    i didn’t definitely know the album but i will give a listen this evening. thank you for recommending us another masterpiece.😚🤘

EternalNathalie

Free Bird Player
    Jan 29, 2020
    Sweden
    twitter.com
    Couldn't wait to start listening to this album, literally hit play after I saw your post on Insta. I really dig the tunes I'm hearing so far, thanks again Syn!! And have a great Saturday 🥳🧡

EDIT: Thought I recognized "John The Fisherman", turns it I played the heck out of it on Guitar Hero 2 back in the day haha. Fun fact, Beast and the Harlot was also one of the songs on GH2, and that's when I first heard A7X! 🤘

//Nathalie

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Syn Gates

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Ok, I'll admit I've never heard of Primus before but I listened to the album with an open mind and ready to be positively surprised like I was with Mr. Bungle and....was totally NOT disappointed!!!
    Holy hell, this album is rad!!
    I really loved "To defy the laws of tradition" (It's maybe my favourite..not sure yet, I'll have to give the album a second listen 😂) and "Harold of the rocks".
    The riff and solo section of "Groundhog's Day" is really awesome!!!!
    And have to agree on the drums in "Spegetti Western", that groove is so catchy!
    Also, had to google who Michael Malloy was, crazy story 🤯
    Totally added this to my playlist ✅
    Thank you for this awesome recommendation Syn, have a great day :rock-hand: :explode-skull:

Edit: I read on other students' comments that Primus did the theme song for South Park. I had no idea it was them!! Damn it, I have to research more on theme songs I like!! 😅😂

Last edited:

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    Dude- NICE!! About four years ago, when I was 16, my good friend (who happened to play bass) showed me the enigma that is Primus. He had recently discovered them, and would not shut the fuck up about them, for good reason. He'd come to me almost every other day with a new "favorite" of his, and I loved every single song he showed me, despite how different and odd they each were. :explode-skull:

The first song he showed me was The Seven - and I had never heard anything like it. It's SO groovy, and I love how nasally the vocalist sounds (I should prob learn his name). It got me doing a deep dive into weird variations of "funk" and bands with killer bassists.

I don't know any Primus albums in full, so this seems like a good place to start.

Thanks for the recommendation, Syn!! I'm beginning to understand why you love bands like Primus and Mr. Bungle now. :rock-hand:

Dark & Twisty KyFe

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Townsville

Favorite tracks include-

All my love,

SYN
    I... You... You have a Randy Uncle...?! I can’t... I’ll just... Bob was my Uncle. No shit. I’ll just be over here, trying not to change your name to Frizzle Fry (oh the euphemisms we shall run head first into) in Jak’s phone... Thankfully this isn’t all I’m taking from this post (but let’s be honest, Friz, it’s probably the majority 🤷🏻‍♀️ I feel I must now refer to my place of dwelling as boy the Opium Den) It does make me miss the bangin’ ‘net company we had down here iPrimus. You just know they had exemplary taste in tunes.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    So, I gave it a listen and I'm here again, to share my thoughts.

Definitely, the thing that I liked the most about this album was the bass. 100%. I'm not used to this kind of funky sound; the only reference I have is RHCP and the amazing work of Flea, which I've always admired. So, the way Les Claypool plays really amazed me! And I did a little research on him and found out that he was invited to be a part of Metallica after Cliff's passing. Wow! :explode-skull:

These are the songs that I liked the most:
    To Defy The Laws Of Tradition - the bass in this song almost made me wanna quit learning how to play the guitar and switch to bass. ALMOST. Very interesting lyrics. A great song to open an album and prepare the listener to what is about to come next.
    Too Many Puppies - another song that caught my attention, especially the lyrics. Still relevant to this day.
    Mr Knowitall - sooo groovy, I had to do a little dance while listening to it, for sure 😆 I can definitely see why this one was the first to caught your attention, @Syn Gates
    Frizzle Fry - what is that amazing guitar solo in the second half, next to the end of the song? This really caught me off guard!
    The Toys Go Winding Down - I really liked the drum fills in this one in particular

I think it's interesting that the character CG (The Mexican) is brought into different songs in this album ("The Toys Go Winding Down" and "Spegetti Western"). In my quick research, I found that he appears in other Primus' songs as well. Is he a real friend of Les? Or imaginary, maybe? :rainbow-mushroom:

Well, it was definitely a wild experience. Some of the lyrics actually have a deeper meaning to them, besides being fun. I really liked it! Will surely add Primus to the list of bands that I enjoy.

Thank you again for another brilliant rec, Syn! You are always opening my mind to new sounds. It's very nice to listen to the music that you love and that has had some kind of impact in your life. And this album, like Disco Volante, has an even bigger meaning as it was of Jimmy's favs. So, thank you for sharing this treasure with us. You have no idea how much I appreciate what you're doing.
    I love you! ❤

Last edited:

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    So stoked on this one!
    My Uncle Vic is the one who got me into Primus, The Residents, Zappa, all those cats (though funny enough he had never heard of Mr Bungle until I introduced them to him, and he’s from San Fran!)
    So many classics here, Too Many Puppies and John the Fishermen especially. There’s a few tracks that drag a bit for me but even then I’m able to find moments to dig. Over all it’s an amazing album. Heavy and funkalicious from start to end, grooves for days, and a an absolute blast, albeit an oddity for sure, but as is everything Primus lol. I also love that the reissue includes a cover of Hello Skinny/Constantinople (two great songs) by The Residents. If you listen to the originals and then the Primus covers, you can really hear how much The Residents influenced Les and adds some added insight into further Primus listening experiences.

That being said my very favorite Primus album is Pork Soda, not as heavy as Frizzle Fry, but it’s so damn dark, and I am a self proclaimed edge lord 😜 I’ve also really been a big fan of the newer stuff like Primus and the Chocolate Factory and The Desaturating Seven which not every Primus fan agrees with haha 😅 There’s more psych influence in the later stuff and a lot of people still want more heavy funk metal but I love it all for the most part. I’m also a HUGE fan of The Claypool Lennon Delirium (Les Claypools side project with Sean Lennon for those who don’t know). I think they’re absolutely amazing haha. Where so you stand on newer Primus and the CLD Syn?

For those who give Frizzle Fry a listen and click with it, you’re going to have an absolute blast going down the Primus rabbit hole, so much excellence to be found!

Last edited:

Sarahpassalacqua

Free Bird Player
    Jan 5, 2021
    Italy

Favorite tracks include-

All my love,

SYN
    Hello Syn!! 🤘 I don't know the album, but I can't wait to give it a listen!
    Thank you always for the tips! 🖤

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    So stoked on this one!
    My Uncle Vic is the one who got me into Primus, The Residents, Zappa, all those cats (though funny enough he had never heard of Mr Bungle until I introduced them to him, and he’s from San Fran!)
    So many classics here, Too Many Puppies and John the Fishermen especially. There’s a few tracks that drag a bit for me but even then I’m able to find moments to dig. Over all it’s an amazing album. Heavy and funkalicious from start to end, grooves for days, and a an absolute blast, albeit an oddity for sure, but as is everything Primus lol. I also love that the reissue includes a cover of Hello Skinny/Constantinople (two great songs) by The Residents. If you listen to the originals and then the Primus covers, you can really hear how much The Residents influenced Les and adds some added insight into further Primus listening experiences.

That being said my very favorite Primus album is Pork Soda, not as heavy as Frizzle Fry, but it’s so damn dark, and I am a self proclaimed edge lord 😜 I’ve also really been a big fan of the newer stuff like Primus and the Chocolate Factory and The Desaturating Seven which not every Primus fan agrees with haha 😅 There’s more psych influence in the later stuff and a lot of people still want more heavy funk metal but I love it all for the most part. I’m also a HUGE fan of The Claypool Lennon Delirium (Les Claypools side project with Sean Lennon for those who don’t know). I think they’re absolutely amazing haha. Where so you stand on newer Primus and the CLD Syn?

For those who give Frizzle Fry a listen and click with it, you’re going to have an absolute blast going down the Primus rabbit hole, so much excellence to be found!
    I'll listen to the original songs by The Residents, to make a comparison and see which version I like the best.
    Also, you said something about Les' project with Lennon's son, another thing that I discovered in my research, and I forgot to google it to know more about it. Do you have a song in particular that you think I should listen to first?

• Love
    Reactions: Jamie London