• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

FRIZZLE FRY by Primus

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Here are my thoughts!!!!. Is a band I've never heard before and I have totally virgins my ears! Lol. ok I've listened to the whole album, I can say I've definitely loved it more than I thought. Definitely I'm going to create a playlist with my favorite songs!. Their music reminds me to “the red hot chili peppers” a little bit some songs. Here are some of the brilliant tracks for me:

Harold of the Rocks: I loved it! The guitar solo on that song made me want to hear more about this band and want to know more about them.

The Toys Go Winding Down: wow loving that bass a lot to the rhythm of the drums, they created together an amazing melody. ♥️

Groundhog's Day: it's taken me to another dimension!!. The style is unique, both in instruments and voice.👽

My favorite! Too Many Puppies: I've got it stuck in my brain all day. I'm singing over and over again." Too many puppies, too many puppies" lol:ROFLMAO:. The rhythms have a great creativity of sounds, the Les Claypool's voice is very particular for me, totally a great composer without a doubt! And I can say he’s one of the best bassists i’ve ever heard. I wanted to read the lyrics of the song, which they referred to with "too many puppies", it's a reflection on war and other topics. very interesting!👏👏

Spegetti Western: I agree with you! insane that drums! Create a unique style! Hands down.🙌

@Syn Gates thank you so much for this amazing recommendation, I love to know other styles of music, very productive and brings a lot of culture!. I've loved heard that amazing bass in those songs! And no doubt if I went back to the 1990s I'd love these guys! 🤘
    Thank you again for giving us all that information and very nice details of how this band influenced your life and music, It's really appreciated and I'd love to have that full playlist Jimmy gave to you! ♥️ gracias for reading us and asking us for our opinions! You're a genius and I admire you! Have a beautiful day, sending much love! Stay safe! Te amo Bello! 🤘♥️♥️

Last edited:

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Ok, I'll admit I've never heard of Primus before but I listened to the album with an open mind and ready to be positively surprised like I was with Mr. Bungle and....was totally NOT disappointed!!!
    Holy hell, this album is rad!!
    I really loved "To defy the laws of tradition" (It's maybe my favourite..not sure yet, I'll have to give the album a second listen 😂) and "Harold of the rocks".
    The riff and solo section of "Groundhog's Day" is really awesome!!!!
    And have to agree on the drums in "Spegetti Western", that groove is so catchy!
    Also, had to google who Michael Malloy was, crazy story 🤯
    Totally added this to my playlist ✅
    Thank you for this awesome recommendation Syn, have a great day :rock-hand: :explode-skull:

Edit: I read on other students' comments that Primus did the theme song for South Park. I had no idea it was them!! Damn it, I have to research more on theme songs I like!! 😅😂
    ok! listened.
    but now i’ve a question, Syn: how do you always find the most fucking cool and crazy things? 😭😂i definitely like it.

i had never heard Primus before, but as usual you are opening a world to me.
    «The Toys Go Winding Down» ,
    «To Defy The Laws Of Tratidion»
    and «Sathington Willoughby»
    are my favorites.
    the voice is interesting, especially the drums. God! lots of stuff. I think I'll start studying one of their songs on drums, cause it's incredible.
    beautiful opening of the drums of the song
    Sathington Willoughby . it will definitely be the next piece to study.
    🤘
    I was super fortunate to have a father who introduced me to all sorts of amazing lesser known music like Danny Elfman, Sparks(coming soon), Zappa, Steely Dan, and Pantera.

Then Jimmy took me further into the realm of avant-garde nouveau(at the time) with Bungle, Primus, and The Residents.

We were all so obsessed with tearing down barriers and expressing ourselves as uniquely as possible. We just instigated each other to no end.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I was super fortunate to have a father who introduced me to all sorts of amazing lesser known music like Danny Elfman, Sparks(coming soon), Zappa, Steely Dan, and Pantera.

Then Jimmy took me further into the realm of avant-garde nouveau(at the time) with Bungle, Primus, and The Residents.

We were all so obsessed with tearing down barriers and expressing ourselves as uniquely as possible. We just instigated each other to no end.
    That's beautiful!!! Wish the rest of my family was more "musical" 😅😅 oh well, I'll get to know all of this awesome music from you 😁 :rock-hand:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ah yes. I remember this album well - blaring out of Syn's bedroom on a daily basis. I think I might have even jammed with him & Jimmy in our garage on Too Many Puppies.
    It's one of those albums that has to be heard to be believed. Nothing remotely like this existed before this album came out. It's kind of its own genre.
    It's hard to listen to this record and not smile. It's just a fun, unpredictable album created by great musicians.
    After listening to it today for the first time in (gulp) almost 30 years, it all came back to me and I'm still smiling.
    Besides Puppies, (which I love for sentimental reasons) I love the sweet slow groove of Groundhog's Day. Laws of Tradition always makes me want to pick up a bass. And if Mr Knowitall doesn't make you bob your head and tap your feet - you have no soul. lol
    I was always disappointed that Michael Malloy wasn't longer. It was beautifully Bungle-esque and I think it could have been an epic 6 minute song.
    So many wonderful surprises on this album!

Thank you Syn! Great call!!!
    pg

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy

that’s SO great! in my family, they are not GREAT music listeners. it’s often me who makes them discover the artists and make them fall in love, like it happened with A7X (😎) much time ago. but luckily, thanks to your AOTMs and this wonderful community, i'm getting to know a lot of great new stuff! 🤘🤘

you made me love Mr.Bungle, in fact i’ve listened to all their albums and now they’re one of my favourite bands ever.🤘🔥🙌🏼

Synner Endless Summer Collection

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com

It's awesome when you have such a musical family
    My mom has had some influence on me (with Queen, The Bee Gees), and I've had some influence on her as well (I got her into A7X hahahaha she always asks me to put your songs to play loud, and she's always singing Afterlife or Nightmare around the house ❤)

Having a friend like Jimmy, with such a unique music taste, wow, I can only imagine how amazing it must have been. I'm glad you guys instigated each other so much. We can definitely hear those influences in your music, especially in Pinkly Smooth!

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Ah yes. I remember this album well - blaring out of Syn's bedroom on a daily basis. I think I might have even jammed with him & Jimmy in our garage on Too Many Puppies.
    It's one of those albums that has to be heard to be believed. Nothing remotely like this existed before this album came out. It's kind of its own genre.
    It's hard to listen to this record and not smile. It's just a fun, unpredictable album created by great musicians.
    After listening to it today for the first time in (gulp) almost 30 years, it all came back to me and I'm still smiling.
    Besides Puppies, (which I love for sentimental reasons) I love the sweet slow groove of Groundhog's Day. Laws of Tradition always makes me want to pick up a bass. And if Mr Knowitall doesn't make you bob your head and tap your feet - you have no soul. lol
    I was always disappointed that Michael Malloy wasn't longer. It was beautifully Bungle-esque and I think it could have been an epic 6 minute song.

pg
    Such a rad father! :rock-hand:

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach

pg
    Ya I’m sure we did! I definitely remember jamming Tower Of Power stuff and a ton of improv with you and Jimmy. Good times:pink-heart:

Ya this record is super nostalgic for a few reasons.
    -Jimmy introd the band to me
    -it was the soundtrack to a summer I was out with your band.
    -jamming it with you and Jimmy.

When you crawl inside the head of these one of a kind artists by learning their music, the songs take a different shape. It shifts your original perspective of the song and changes the course of how you will play and write for the rest of your life.

I will always have Larry LaLonde’s “voice” in my head when I’m constructing a part or a piece of music because of how much time I spent listening and studying that record.

Because that band impacted me so fiercely, my instincts always lean pretty hard to the “outside” when I set out to write a melody, part, or solo. I’m always reigning shit in to fit in a little better. I certainly don’t ditch all the fucked up shit that pops in my head but there’s always a seriously bloody battle between my two silent passengers, the ugly and the beautiful- Larry LaLonde and Vünter Slaush

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Vünter Slaush
    I see what you did there 😂😂😂😂😂
    IMG_20210117_212417.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I've never listened to Primus before, but I'm definitely excited to give it a listen today and see what I think! It's about time I really started branching out in what I listen to!

It's also really interesting to me to hear about how people find their music! For me, the way I found most of my music was through my parents and my brother, my dad being a huge rockabilly fan (Stray Cats/Setzer, Eddie Cochrane, King Kurt, etc.), my mum listening to anything from Metallica and GnR to Set It Off and Garth Brooks, and my brother starting off into metal, rap-rock, and them going off on his own path from there! They all introduced me, in one way or another, music that has stuck with me and will go with me for the rest of my life, and I love that! And now, here I am discovering more music from you all!

Right, I'm off to give this a listen and I'll return with my thoughts soon! Cheers! 🤘 :cool: 🤘

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    😱 Ahhh, I’m fucking stoked it’s a band I actually fucking already know and an album I love !!!!!
    In true 90’s kid fashion, I first met Primus via a video game 🤣 “Jerry was a race car” was the first song I heard from the band and I was hooked !
    Wasn't that game Tony Hawk's Pro Skater? That is a legendary fucking game right there. I also think it's where 90 percent of all Primus fans were born.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    This album is fucked up. And im saying that in a good way like its nothing like ive ever head before and very likely will never hear anything like this from anyone else.

That being said, I am really impress by the musicianship. I mean, this is a trio and the entire album feels full in the sense that everything is in the right place. All the parts are made to work with each other and nothing feels out of place. Feels like it all works together to serve the crazy fucked up ideas of these songs.

The biggest standout for me is the bass. Man, I dont know when was the last time that I heard a bass with such prominence. it has a very distinctive tone to it and its brought forward in such a manner by Les Claypool. I mean, he is simply an insanely amazing bass player and his technique is so unique. It lowkey puts me to shame and makes me wonder how he comes up with all those parts... and of course the drumming, guitar and vocals are really amazing as well but the bass is really what hit me the most.

In conclusion, I fucking dig that album. Another listen is in order.

But hey dude, you seem to mention a lot of the mixtapes and recommendations from Jimmy. I was wondering if you could ever tell us what those songs were and what those mixtape looked like. Hell, you could always do a playlist with those song for an AOTM! Could always be interesting but thats a suggestion!

All said and done, have a great day dude! :rock-hand:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    But hey dude, you seem to mention a lot of the mixtapes and recommendations from Jimmy. I was wondering if you could ever tell us what those songs were and what those mixtape looked like. Hell, you could always do a playlist with those song for an AOTM! Could always be interesting but thats a suggestion!
    YES! That would be perfect!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    That would be so great!!!

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com

You are very lucky Syn to have a family with a very good musical taste! I didn't have that luck, my family doesn't have such a wide musical taste lol!. Thank you for all the recommendations that you make to us these months and for every details. This has helped me a lot and I open my head more, listening to all kinds of musical styles, Primus I liked it so much! ♥️ 🤘

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    :syngates:Yo Family!

For this month’s #AOTM rec, I’m rollin w Frizzle Fry by the one and only Primus, a power trio from 11th dimensional hyperspace.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with Primus, or 11th dimensional hyperspace, buckle the fuck up. This band is funky, heavy, avant-garde, and utterly ridiculous in the most amazing ways.

If you recall from the first AOTM, Disco Volante, I told you that The Rev had made me a mix tape of a ton of avant-garde music and Primus’s Mr. Knowitall was on it. I had heard of them before but every time they came on MTV(👴🏻), I’d change the channel. My virgin ears and eyes couldn’t grasp the brilliance that was not only their music, but their entire hora. Most especially, their music videos with brilliant claymation and surrealism, would instantaneously transport you to another dimension.

Mr. Knowitall was the gateway drug into the rest of the opium den that was The Rev’s mix tape:rainbow-skull:. I obsessed over this song and subsequently Frizzle Fry for an entire year.

I used to travel with my Dad and his band during summers growing up and the keyboard player, my Uncle Randy, had this amazing portable CD player(👴🏻) and I use to “borrow” it to no end. He was always super cool to me and was a huge Primus fan as well so that particular summer was an amazing bonding experience and memory.

As I’m sure a lot of you feel, bonding with someone over music is as great a therapy and catharsis as there is. There’s only one other shared experience with a loved one that rivals it and I shan’t mention what that is because we aren’t here to spoil one’s adolescence.
    Fine, Bruce Willis movies:rock-hand:

And that is one hell of a sexy segue into the heart of Frizzle Fry-

The über imaginative playing and songwriting of Les Claypool made me want to be a bassist and songwriter. The creativity and groove of Tim Alexander made me want to play the drums. The extraordinary mind of Larry LaLonde made me wanna quit guitar. I couldn’t fathom how he came up with his parts. My mind simply did not work like that.......yet😈

Favorite tracks include-

Groundhogs Day- an ostensibly simple groove but impossible to make groove without a LOT of practice. The solo section after the double time pick up(band plays faster) explores a wide range of colors from diminished, parallel major/minor, classical cliches with a twist, and much more. Probably my favorite song on the record.

Too Many Puppies- This is the first cover song I jammed with The Rev. For a couple years we’d just jam extemporaneously but as he began transcribing a myriad of super interesting music, I did as well, often wrong but never right🤡

Mr. Knowitall- First Primus song I ever got into thanks to that magical little opium den.:rainbow-mushroom: Great song, great lyric, great dynamics.

John the Fisherman- Second song I jammed with Jimmy. At 13 years old, our set list consisted of these two Primus songs, Say it Ain’t So by Weezer, and What is Hip by Tower of Power. An eclectic bunch a shit to say the least.

Frizzle Fry- a solid mention simply for one of my fav lyrics I still quote to this day due to its wide application: “I do believe in Captain Crunch, for I am the Frizzle Fry”

Spegetti Western- Not my fav song but hands down one of my top 3 or 5 favorite drum grooves of all time. Sheer brilliance.

Gimme those purdy little mother fuckin thoughts of yours

:spinning-guitar:

All my love,

SYN
    :syngates:
    So, I've returned from giving this album a listen, and al I can say is... HOW THE F*** HAVE I NOT HEARD THIS BEFORE?!

I was so blown away by this. It's unlike anything I've EVER heard, and I'm so glad that I decided to hear it out. I'm definitely seeing a bit of influence that went into Pinkly Smooth, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to that! Each part is just so insane and yet somehow it all managed to work together so well, I can't even begin to comprehend how the hell they managed it!

The one thing I really felt is that every song is it's own complete adventure. I had no idea what to expect next, and the turns these songs took were awesome!! It's seriously engaging, it's constantly keeping you on your toes. I love how there's a main riff that repeats, but each instrument goes off on it's own funky chaos. The lyrics were totally unexpected too!

And as someone studying Music Technology... I LOVED the effects used!! The panning was used really, really well, the guitar and bass effects really gave them their own uniqueness that I fell in love with, especially with delay on some tracks. The vocal effects (Particularly the radio-effect for Mr. Knowitall and the hard panning+layering in To Defy the Laws of Tradition) were awesome!! Overall, I think this album is genuinely gonna stick with me, just for what a memorable and enjoyable journey this has been! I have had my eyes opened to the possible madness!

My favourites are essentially the first 5 tracks:
    -To Defy the Laws of Tradition. Man, what an opener! From a party, to ominous basslines and guitars, then right into the funky madness! I seriously love that riff, it's so memorable and a great way to break the ice and get into the album!

-Groundhog's Day. I am seriously in love with that intro, and how the verse/chorus (I guess you can call them that? LOL) sections differ so much, from going to laid back funk to full blown rock-out mode. It's such a cool contrast! And then that total change around the 2:50 mark was crazy!!

-Too Many Puppies. First of all, what a name! Second of all, what a song! I adore the riff and especially the palm muting! It's just so damn catchy and it's got such a cool percussive sound! That solo is intense too! This one's probably my favourite off the whole album.

-Mr. Knowitall. I've already mentioned the cool vocal effects. I think this riff might be my favourite, it's a tough call between this and Puppies. Around 1:20 is the funkiest breakdown I think I've ever heard and probably ever will, and then there's the cool stripped down sound at 1:40. Then the distorted solo after that is such a cool usage of going outside the box that I think will be really influential in my own writing!!

Frizzle Fry - This intro is exactly what I meant when talking about delay-like sound with that intro. The stops in this one build up so much tension, I love it. The guitar has it's subtler moments that I think really work, and all the instruments have their own space. Got a really cool riff, and also that lil bass solo around 3:45 that returns slightly higher later was awesome.

Honestly, I think I could sit and talk about this album for a while. It's just been such an experience to hear this for the first time, and I've got so many thoughts. Now if you don't mind, a lot of this is going on my playlists, I've got a lot to learn and pick up on!
    Cheers!!

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ya I’m sure we did! I definitely remember jamming Tower Of Power stuff and a ton of improv with you and Jimmy. Good times:pink-heart:

Ya this record is super nostalgic for a few reasons.
    -Jimmy introd the band to me
    -it was the soundtrack to a summer I was out with your band.
    -jamming it with you and Jimmy.

When you crawl inside the head of these one of a kind artists by learning their music, the songs take a different shape. It shifts your original perspective of the song and changes the course of how you will play and write for the rest of your life.

I will always have Larry LaLonde’s “voice” in my head when I’m constructing a part or a piece of music because of how much time I spent listening and studying that record.

Because that band impacted me so fiercely, my instincts always lean pretty hard to the “outside” when I set out to write a melody, part, or solo. I’m always reigning shit in to fit in a little better. I certainly don’t ditch all the fucked up shit that pops in my head but there’s always a seriously bloody battle between my two silent passengers, the ugly and the beautiful- Larry LaLonde and Vünter Slaush
    Ha! Vünter Slaush FTW!