• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

FRIZZLE FRY by Primus

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Turns out I had heard Primus before, namely in Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, so I guess somewhere they weren't fully new to me.

Regardless I went into this pretty blind and after giving the album a listen, I hate to say it, but it's not really my thing. Maybe it's one of these things where (as @Kat the metalhead said) it has to grow on you, but right now it isn't something I would listen to spontaneously.

However, I do appreciate the musicianship that went into it and I can definitely see how and where this band influenced others. I love love loved the drum and bass parts and the funk and groove that they bring to the songs. I also appreciate the more grungy, rough guitar parts that have a weird contrast to the drum and bass, but it feels kind of disconnected to me? That along with the vocals just throws it all off for me 😅

I definitely wouldn't say I hate it and I might come back to it again later to see if I feel differently about it, but definitely not my favorite record out there (yet?)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Love the mid-section to Groundhog's Day. Too Many Puppies seems like a great song to jam on. Loving Frizzle Fry. The main bass theme in The Toys Go Winding Down is REALLY fucking with my head. The groove on Pudding Time is killer. The guitar solo on Spegetti Western is crazy, and I'm really digging the whole outro/coda. Harold has some great playing all around, but I really don't care for the noisy parts of the guitar solo. It makes me think of when Spinal Tap were trying out "freeform jazz" in front of the empty theme park crowd.

In any other band, the snare drum would sound like ass. See "St. Anger."

Larry Tooley

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I love Frizzle Fry! After see the "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" video on MTV, I borrowed Frizzle Fry from a friend and dubbed it to cassette and spent the entire marching band season listening to the album on the bus. I loved Larry LaLonde's playing so much. It was so weird and different from what I thought a guitar player should be playing. I have an amp around here that has "Ler" written on it in sharpie. That was how he was listed on the album liner notes at the time. Being a fellow Larry who played guitar, I felt a special kinship. Lar was how my friends referred to me at the time too.

I recently learned the bass riff for Too Many Puppies. That, John the Fisherman, and Harold on the Rocks were my favorite songs.

Thanks for posting this @Syn Gates . Got my workout music for tomorrow. Damn the memories. :)

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    I was super fortunate to have a father who introduced me to all sorts of amazing lesser known music like Danny Elfman, Sparks(coming soon), Zappa, Steely Dan, and Pantera.

Then Jimmy took me further into the realm of avant-garde nouveau(at the time) with Bungle, Primus, and The Residents.

We were all so obsessed with tearing down barriers and expressing ourselves as uniquely as possible. We just instigated each other to no end.
    I once really liked a band out of cali called toys in the attic but now i cant find any of their music..have you heard of them

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Toys in the Attic is a popular Aerosmith album. Are you sure they weren't an Aerosmith cover

Toys in the Attic is a popular Aerosmith album. Are you sure they weren't an Aerosmith cover band?
    Lol im sure...when i try to search them thats what comes up...its frustrating

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The Toys Go Winding Down, You Can't Kill Michael Malloy, Too Many Puppies and John The Fisherman. Those are some I liked, seen SouthPark, but didn't know it was Primus. Heard Eminem say it once in a song, eventually I looked them up and found My Name is Mud. I liked it a lot, that Weezer song too. Maybe you can play it for fun? Thanks for sharing, it's cool being here.🔁

Raquel Sousa Calvoso

New Student
    Sep 25, 2020
    Brasil
    eu nunca tinha ouvido falar em Primus, ainda estou ouvindo, e eu to achando incrível, as letras são ótimas, composições muito boas. "too many poppies" gruda na cabeça hahahah fiquei mt feliz quando soube que o tema de South Park havia sido feito por eles, incrível! hahahahah
    vou ouvir mais do álbum e voltar pra falar minhas preferidas, obrigada Syn!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alec Lewis

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Im a bit late to the AOTM but i just gave this my first listen. I had already heard too many puppies and John the Fisherman (thanks guitar hero), and those are amazing songs. My dad really likes Primus so chances are i've probably heard this album as a kid multiple times, which is why i think there was something nostalgic about this album even though i've never heard it before. To Defy the Laws of Tradition is probably my favorite song so far cause I'm a sucker for those type of chords (octave chords i believe?). Primus was probably the first "proggy" band i have ever listened too, again thanks to guitar hero lol, and I can hear how they definitely paved the way for future innovation in music. There is another song by them I thought I would mention too as it always gave me a good laugh to listen to as a kid: Wynona's Big Brown Beaver from their Tales From the Punchbowl album, so consider listening to that as well as this album if you enjoy the goofy aspect of their music :p

Reactions: Alicia Willis