• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Frustrated!!!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Usually when I get stuck at a BPM I Kinda go 'Fuck it, I'm gonna out it even faster' strangely enough that stops me from being stuck at the BPM I was originally stuck at. Usually at the beginning I increase the BPM by 5 and once I get the hang of it I may increase it a bit more Everytime(I'm an inpatient person, don't ever leave me on read for a long period of time 😂) which sometimes is justified in other times it isn't.

As far as my own self image for my playing goes. I'm very aware of what I'm good at and what I'm not that good at. So for example when I learn a solo I mostly care about nailing the bits that are important to me (like the melody, ending on the right note, did I invoke the right feeling, did I play in key etc.). When I write my own solos I do like to take some risks at times. Both of these can lead to mistake in my solo but if the overall product is good enough I usually am happy with it. Sometimes this leads to a comment like 'wow you nailed it' to which I say thank you but think 'No I didn't, I only nailed part of it but that's okay to me and apparently to you too, that's awesome!'

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I find myself having something rum-enabled at the end of every work day lately, and I'm not typically a "regular" drinker.

It just goes down far too easy. My problem is that when I start I get a taste for it (Typical Scotsman really) - so I keep my drinking to the weekends just now haha!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I find myself having something rum-enabled at the end of every work day lately, and I'm not typically a "regular" drinker.
    It's a bit interesting to me how different people reach differently to this quarantine thing, I used to drink 15-20 beers a week before quarantine, which is kind a regular drinker, and now I had 7.5 beers in 2 months.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    All good advice! 10bpm is a big jump if you can barely play something. 2 or 3 bpm is probably more realistic. I know. It's boring. But that's how it's done.
    Also - I love Ed's advice. End on a good note. This is almost IMPOSSIBLE to do. It's like gambling in Vegas. Quit while you're ahead. The problem is - when you're ahead, you want to keep going. Ironically, that's when you lose, get frustrated and end up quitting.
    Sooo - practice, and when you start to suck - back the bpm down 10bpm and play it perfectly. Then put the guitar down. You will feel good and motivated when it's time to pick it up again.
    This is my advice to you, not necessarily anyone else. Everyone is different. I LOVE sucking and being frustrated to the point of screaming. I've embraced it. I get pissed off and power through it. That's my personality. For those who have a more "fuck you" attitude (like me) - just suck out loud, scream, and suck some more. I've done it enough to know I'll eventually nail it. My inner voice would horrify most people. I say terrible things to myself. But it motivates me to do better.
    Some people respond to positive motivation. I seem to respond to self-ridicule. Not saying it's healthy! lol
    I'm just sharing my method. Everyone has to practice to suit their personality.
    This is golden!
    When it comes to guitar I think we all can agree on the fact that we all started because we love music. And its that love for music that should drive us. The love for our craft to get what's inside our heads into our fingers....but that process is hard and frustrating.

I must admit I am a lot like Papa Gates at this...I beat myself up and hit my head against the wall until I get it or give up. But I may have to apply your method...in the long run its gonna keep the fun alive.