• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Gear used on early A7X albums: The vault of Fred Archambault

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
May 23, 2021
We had some students on here that were interested in seeing some actual pieces of gear that Avenged Sevenfold used on some of their albums. I paid a visit to their longtime friend/engineer/producer Fred Archambault and he showed me some gear that he still had that was used by them. Fred worked on A7X albums such as Waking the Fallen, City of Evil, Self Titled, Diamonds in the Rough, and Nightmare along with albums from many other bands. Fred was the last person to record The Rev (for Jeff Dunham's 2008 Christmas Album, also featuring PG) and the ONLY person to record him professionally.

Fred also expressed that he would be open to possibly doing a Q&A or maybe livestream here on the site since his name comes up from time to time and many students have questions.

The gear will be posted in the comments here. One piece of gear will be posted on its own thread. Here is that other thread

Last edited:

Awex Came

Legend
May 23, 2021
Here's the Boss CS-3 Compressor pedal that Syn used mostly on leads/solos. Not sure if those are his settings marked or not. Guitar leads are very dynamic, so a compressor will help tame those dynamics. Syn also partially used this as a "boost" to add extra input signal into his amplifier to achieve a nice saturated sound. This has been discussed in a previous thread and is said to be a big part of his lead tone in the earlier days.

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Here's the Boss CS-3 Compressor pedal that Syn used mostly on leads/solos. Not sure if those are his settings marked or not. Guitar leads are very dynamic, so a compressor will help tame those dynamics. Syn also partially used this as a "boost" to add extra input signal into his amplifier to achieve a nice saturated sound. This has been discussed in a previous thread and is said to be a big part of his lead tone in the earlier days.

View attachment 1689
    View attachment 1690
    wow ❤️ .. so cool! thanks a lot for sharing :)

Reactions: Awex Came

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Sorry that the pictures are so dark, the studio lighting is dim to create ambience. Here's an old Schecter Scorpion guitar the Syn used on the leads/solos on Waking the Fallen. This is before Avenged was officially with Schecter. Funny enough, the "Scorpion" shape became the "S-1" which eventually became the shape that Zacky Vengeance used for his Schecter signature model.

Fred says that he gave this guitar to Syn and he left it there. @Syn Gates, if you see this, go pick up your guitar!

IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg

Last edited:

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Here's the Bogner Uberschall amplifier they used back in the day. They still use an Uberschall in the studio to this day, just not the one pictured. This amp is a large part of their sound, and is blended in to some capacity on each album. This is a very early revision made by Reinhold Bogner. Unfortunately, this amp was put away and I didn't want to make Fred take it down, so this is the only picture i got.

IMG_1692.jpg

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    This is a Schecter Synyster Gates model that was given to Fred by Brian. What makes this unique is that it has a hardtail bridge, not a Floyd Rose. They now make Syn models with Hardtail bridges, but this was before they were ever publicly released and this has a different bridge than you would find on current production models

IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing all this goodness! I think that Fred doing a Q&A here would be fantastic! On the same note, I also have plans for the streaming service and I would love to even do an interview type of thing with Fred. He has such a wealth of knowledge and expertise and great stories!!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Awesome thread man, thank you for sharing! It's so weird to see the old Syn model with a hardtail, I remember seeing the new models with them and it threw me for a sec LOL. Also, absolutely love that Scorpion! Though it's weird seeing what I've come to know as "Zacky's guitar" model with that headstock :ROFLMAO: 🤘💀🤘
    Agreed lol the hardtail is weird for a sec. But I kinda like the idea of it since the Floyd can be a real pain sometimes. And it is kinda ironic that the shape became known for Zacky's guitar, also interesting to see how many iterations of that shape there were

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing all this goodness! I think that Fred doing a Q&A here would be fantastic! On the same note, I also have plans for the streaming service and I would love to even do an interview type of thing with Fred. He has such a wealth of knowledge and expertise and great stories!!
    No problem! Fred is amazing, he's very open about everything and happy to share his "secrets". As I'm sure you know, the reality is that engineers and producers rarely get the love and appreciation they deserve so I'm sure he's grateful to have so many people interested in his work which is why he's so open about things. The Q&A/Livestream would be a great idea in my opinion. Let me know and I can put you guys in touch

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    No problem! Fred is amazing, he's very open about everything and happy to share his "secrets". As I'm sure you know, the reality is that engineers and producers rarely get the love and appreciation they deserve so I'm sure he's grateful to have so many people interested in his work which is why he's so open about things. The Q&A/Livestream would be a great idea in my opinion. Let me know and I can put you guys in touch
    Oh yeah, people rarely know how it's like behind the scene and the huge amount of work that goes into the process of music production. But I think this is a brilliant opportunity! By all means, I am really stoked at the possibility of having Fred on! This would be on of the first things I'd do as soon as the stream section as up! By all means, I'd really love if you can put us in touch!

Reactions: Awex Came

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Oh yeah, people rarely know how it's like behind the scene and the huge amount of work that goes into the process of music production. But I think this is a brilliant opportunity! By all means, I am really stoked at the possibility of having Fred on! This would be on of the first things I'd do as soon as the stream section as up! By all means, I'd really love if you can put us in touch!
    Most definitely, he would be a great way to kick it off. I'll DM you right now

Reactions: Rad Synner

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you so much for sharing this absolute gems!! It's so weird to see the Syn model with the hardtail bridge 😱 also, I must have missed the newest models that don't have the floyd rose, I've only ever seen those 🤔🤔🤔
    I love that Scorpion too, really nice!!!
    Looking forward to the future stream with Fred (hopefully)!!!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Thank you so much for sharing this absolute gems!! It's so weird to see the Syn model with the hardtail bridge 😱 also, I must have missed the newest models that don't have the floyd rose, I've only ever seen those 🤔🤔🤔
    I love that Scorpion too, really nice!!!
    Looking forward to the future stream with Fred (hopefully)!!!
    No problem! It is kinda weird. The model they have with a hardtail is actually the Syn Standard, not the custom. Here's a link to it: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/synyster-standard-ht-detail

The Scorpion is pretty cool. I tried to buy it, but it's not for sale (we'll see about that lol). Hopefully we can get him on here!

• Love
    Reactions: ari.mac

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    No problem! It is kinda weird. The model they have with a hardtail is actually the Syn Standard, not the custom. Here's a link to it: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/synyster-standard-ht-detail

The Scorpion is pretty cool. I tried to buy it, but it's not for sale (we'll see about that lol). Hopefully we can get him on here!
    There's actually also a custom one that's hardtail:

But I think those models makes sense. Floyd Rose can be a hassle for some more beginners and so having a models that's affordable but is still a signature model is great.

The custom is also great for some who just don't like floyd rose but still want the model. It's also great for some more standard studio use. Syn's signature guitars are fantastic!