• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Getting serious with practicing

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys, I have recently as many of you know, been recording and while playing I have noticed that I have gotten pretty sloppy with standards and I think its mainly down to a lack of serious practice, I mainly jam when I practice and its always the same stuff but after 7 years of playing I look back and it is nowhere near the standard that I think it should be at.
    A lot of the time I notice things like fingers slipping of strings while bending or when playing on the high E string and I think it’s time to sort it out.
    I have said countless times to people to start slow but I’m guilty of not always following what I say but its helped out more then i can imagine, it helps so much in finding where the faults lie.
    Hopefully this can lead to a clean slate and a much more productive future. Will keep you guys posted on progress.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Last year when I started recording I felt the same issues. The more I did lessons and jammed and wrote new riffs that slowly changed. I feel my standards are definitely going up but not where I wanna be yet. Always pushing to be better. Love hearing you’re doing the same man.

Allan

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Brasil
    I felt the same way a few months ago. I am trying to get a new kind of enjoyment when playing, trying to sound better to my ears, get accurate at any speed (focus on low bpms) and the joy of feeling right (without tension, less unnecessary movement). Sometimes I record and share with my closest friends to get some feedback. I am still testing this mindset. 🙂

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Managed to speak to someone in a discord call (might as well use as many sources as possible) and I now know 4 positions of the minor scale which was a huge leap for me, I am also working on major scale positions so I’m not stuck in one place.
    Its funny you say that Calvin as that has been something I have always thought was down to how comfortable I am playing a cetain guitar. I will certainly use this.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’m guilty of not slowing it down enough but with my stuff being in a unit improbably gonna be forced to play slower when I jam. I’m looking into investing in a cheap acoustic to get me by for now. Maybe it’s a time to refresh the lessons when I plug in next itll be a huge difference.

Synner Endless Summer Collection