• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Good Acoustic Strings

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’m currently using the Ernie Ball Earthwood Strings. They sound super bright and amazing but don’t last very long. I’ve used D’Addario strings, and they last awhile but I’m not particularly fond of their sound. I like a brighter, lighter tone for my acoustic.

What are y’alls favorites?!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Csgozzo91

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I buy acoustic strings so infrequently that I can never ever remember what I bought last time, so I always wing it. I do know I get like 80/20 bronze or something.
    Lol thanks Ed !
    I posted on insta too and A lot of folks seem to like the elixir nonoweb strings so I’m gonna buy a few of those and give em a try. A bit more pricey but hell if they last longer it’s worth it ! I feel like I change acoustic strings 10x more than electric ones.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lol thanks Ed !
    I posted on insta too and A lot of folks seem to like the elixir nonoweb strings so I’m gonna buy a few of those and give em a try. A bit more pricey but hell if they last longer it’s worth it ! I feel like I change acoustic strings 10x more than electric ones.
    Side note. Someone sent me a video regarding string gauges. I’ve always used 10-52’s on the acoustic but someone suggested going down to 8’s. If I’m comfortable with a thicker low E strong should I keep doing what I’m doing ? Would it make that big of a difference sound wise or just playability ?

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I use savarez Argentine strings on my gitane but those are very much Gypsy jazz strings.

I wouldn't know which strings I put on my Nylon string guitar.
    Thanks for the input. I love the Gypsy Jazz stuff you play. I can’t do it myself.....yet ! Lol
    What string gauges are they ? I currently do 10-52 on my acoustic. Someone mentioned going to 8’s on my insta post.

I asked ED the same question. Is that more for just playability or will that affect my tone ? I like the lighter, bright sound.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Side note. Someone sent me a video regarding string gauges. I’ve always used 10-52’s on the acoustic but someone suggested going down to 8’s. If I’m comfortable with a thicker low E strong should I keep doing what I’m doing ? Would it make that big of a difference sound wise or just playability ?

I don't even think they MAKE 8s for an acoustic. The mass of the string is much more important for an acoustic than an electric, especially if it's not getting passed through a piezo or some other pickup. You're not going to find much lower than a 10-50ish set made for acoustics. And if you can find them, you should think twice about using them, especially if you're comfy with thicker ones already. I'd only recommend going lower than 10s on an acoustic if you have a physical need to, like arthritis or something.

I will have that problem long before you will, grasshopper.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Thanks for the input. I love the Gypsy Jazz stuff you play. I can’t do it myself.....yet ! Lol
    What string gauges are they ? I currently do 10-52 on my acoustic. Someone mentioned going to 8’s on my insta post.

I asked ED the same question. Is that more for just playability or will that affect my tone ? I like the lighter, bright sound.
    I use 10-46 to make sure the string tension is similar to what it is on my electric so I don't have to get reused to the tension for bending. Bending is a lot harder on acoustic already.

I think Syn said somewhere he also uses 10s but I think usually people use a thicker string gauge when they play on acoustic

Csgozzo91

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Apr 10, 2020
    Madrid, Spain.
    I used to play with Agustine Strings for my acoustic, in Low Tension with great performance and durability, but sometimes I didn't find it, so for that reason I changed to D'addario in acoustic and electric. Great price-quality ratio and very commercial. And by the way, I didn't know about Elixir Strings, I'll try to test with this. Thank you guys.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection