• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Good affordable amps for metal

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Has anybody here got any good suggestions for good amplifiers for metal music? I have a Line 6 Spider Classic 15 which I haven’t really been a fan of when it comes to its overdrive and distortion settings. It sounds very janky and the notes have a very phasy sound to them on distortion, and I was also thinking about buying a new amplifier to go with my new guitar which got delivered to me recently. Any suggestions for affordable amps that give a high amount of gain that doesn’t sound phasy or dirty? I would like a distortion that has a lot of gain, but doesn’t sound too muddy or dirty. Many thanks!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Hiroshi Nakauye

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
What budget are you looking at? And are you playing with people or by yourself?
Because for recording purposes and overall versatility the line 6 helix stomp looks attractive. And plus you could plug it into an amp for live volume. Or sometimes to can find a used 5150/6505 combo for very cheap.

Luke G

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
New Jersey
The amp I use for metal is a Crate GX212, which I picked up used at guitar center for $100. Amp is pretty big and I can get a really nice Syn Gates sound out of it by default. I can also plug in my Uber metal pedal and get a nice classic sounding guitar overdrive. If you can find one I highly recommend it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Thibodeau

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m sold on tubes, so what I would recommend on the cheaper side of things (don’t know your budget):
Bugera 333 (clone of a Peavey XXX) very cheap, check out CSGuitars on youtube, he uses it a lot, great tone.
Peavey XXX
Peavey 6505/5150
Crate Blue(?) Voodoo
Marshall DSL40CR with a tube screamer or other boost (that’s what I run).
All of the above are available as a head only, or in combo format. Be warned though, a tube combo amp is pretty heavy and a pain to drag around. I leave my DSL at our band’s practice location, and practice at home with a POD HD500.
Cheers