• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Good and affordable audio interface? What to buy?

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Focusrite 2nd or 3rd generation models are a good option. I know that older models had some gain issues but I believe that they fixed that in the newer generations. Audient id4 is also pretty good. I have steinberg CI1. It's an older model but I never had a problem with it and it has everything that I need so I recommend that one as well.

TerminatorMetal

Free Bird Player
Mar 27, 2020
I 2nd the Focusrite Scarlet. The 3rd Gen came out Mid-2019, so the 2nd Gen is probably more affordable right now. (It's also the most popular interface used by us non-pro's).

Avoid gimmicky Guitar-To-USB cables and products. They create feedback, trade tone for gain, and add latency.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hey I'm also looking at picking up lower priced interface as my first too! Focusrite has been recommended time and time again because they work and are affordable. I've heard that Gen 2 Scarletts can have issues with heating up and with Gen 3 they've got that fixed so if you can I'd go Gen 3 if you choose a Scarlett interface. Most lower priced interfaces have become pretty good over the last few years from the sounds of it. Most have pretty low latency. Most come with pretty good software ranging from different DAW's to even amp sims. Presonus has some good lower priced stuff as well that works well. I'm 75% sure the interface I'll end up going with is one of Audient's new Evo series interfaces. The Evo 4 comes in at $130 USD, has two mic pre amps, an instrument input, headphone jack, two speaker outs, and one of the key features is it's "Smart Gain" button. You connect your mic or instrument to the interface, press the bright green button on top, select the channel you're using, press that button again, start playing your instrument as hard as the hardest you'll be playing for that session, and it'll automatically set the gain so you don't experience clipping while recording. I've seen quite a few good reviews from each of these three but I because of the smart gain feature, and having three inputs possible I'll end up going with the Evo 4. Hope this helps man.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I also use Scarlett from Focusrite, works great for me. You only have to plug your instrument in and use a speaker or headphones.

You'll only need programs to record with. Reaper is free. ToneLib and GuitarRig have a lot of effects you can use, also free And there are a lot of plugins you can download for reaper too.

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Aylesbury, England
    I also use Scarlett from Focusrite, works great for me. You only have to plug your instrument in and use a speaker or headphones.

You'll only need programs to record with. Reaper is free. ToneLib and GuitarRig have a lot of effects you can use, also free And there are a lot of plugins you can download for reaper too.
    Is there a way to use my amp for the tones to then record on my computer or do I just use different plug ins?

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Is there a way to use my amp for the tones to then record on my computer or do I just use different plug ins?
    You can record your amp with a microphone that you plug in your interface or you can just simply plug in your guitar directly into your interface and use a guitar fx plugin for your tone

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    I literally just got one and I'm absolutely loving it. I got a Steinberg UR22C audio interface. It came with Cubase which I have enjoyed using. I also run Bias FX 2 as an insert through Cubase if the basic guitar effects aren't quite doing it for me. Do some research and make an informed decision, but if you have any questions about the products I just mentioned ask me and I'll answer the best I can.

Reactions: Ethan Keeling
    Synner Endless Summer Collection