• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Got an interface and an amp sim... What do I do about the latency?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Soo I got a Scarlet 3rd Gen solo, hooked my guitar Up and play through a neural amp sim.
    Now my Goal was to use a Bluetooth Headset to Jam without disturbing anyone. Maybe I underestimated the latency with this but right now it's unplayable. With Bluetooth Headset almost a second, directly from the PC speakers still 1/2s it seems.

Was I just naive to think it would work like that or is there something I'm Missing? I know you can use the "direct Monitor" function of the focusrite, but I can't Plug in my PC Soundsystem or the Headset there.

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I don't know how they do wireless guitars but I think analog ( with a wire ) is the best way. Read somewhere that Bluetooth gives delay after input after getting some wireless headphones.
    Gaming through a cable is faster than wifi too, maybe it's kind of the same

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The bluetooth speakers/headset is 99% of the latency. You can use wireless for passive activities, like listening to music or watching TV, but not for playing guitar. The bandwidth isn't there yet in consumer gear and this is why IEMs are so expensive.

Upvote 0

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    To echo what Ed said, the best thing you can do is get wired headphones. A big amoutn of latency comes from the fact that with using bluetooth, you are essentially using a different recording and playback device so you can get clocking issues (the timing between each AD/DA conversion).

Due to this there is a huge buffer between when a signal comes in and when it leaves as the devices cant communicate and say "hey there is a signal coming" and the latency is born.

Usually high end studios will have clocking devices which will make shure things like audio interfaces and converters all communicate efficiently with little if any latency.

Your interface should be abke to run with hardly noticeable delay since it is its own clock and the Input and output stages are able to work together without issues.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Thanks for the Input Guys... That's a bit of a bummer but I could've seen it coming
    The bluetooth speakers/headset is 99% of the latency.
    I still do have noticable delay over my PC speakers though which makes playing really uncomfortable ...
    Your interface should be abke to run with hardly noticeable delay since it is its own clock and the Input and output stages are able to work together without issues.
    So If I use Headphones through my Interface, doesn't it then Monitor Just the direct Signal of my guitar? Or does it First Go through my PC, thus allowing me to "use" an amp Sim directly through the Interface?

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Turn the “monitor” off on the interface and you’ll get the processed sound in the headphones. The interface has a tray icon that allows you to adjust the latency - set it as low as it will go without shitting the bed.
    I'll Play around with it - that is If I find a decent pair of Headphones around the House haha. Thanks!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Prolific-JaY

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 3, 2020
    Canada
    I still do have noticable delay over my PC speakers though which makes playing really uncomfortable ...
    I had these same issues like 6 months ago when I first downloaded Neural plugins. Go into the settings in the Neural plugin and change the audio device type to ASIO and set the audio buffer size to the lowest that your PC can handle. Just keep adjusting it down and testing it. Mine is at 96 and its flawless.

If you don't see ASIO in the audio device type menu, you might have to download the driver. I have a gen 2 Focusrite so not sure if the drivers are the same but just google Focusrite ASIO driver. Once the driver is installed, you should see it in the audio device menu. If it's set to windows audio, I don't think you can get rid of the latency. I couldn't. Hope this helps.

** Forgot to add, I don't know about the Bluetooth headset, it should make it better at least. I use monitors so I have no idea.

Upvote 0

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I had these same issues like 6 months ago when I first downloaded Neural plugins. Go into the settings in the Neural plugin and change the audio device type to ASIO and set the audio buffer size to the lowest that your PC can handle. Just keep adjusting it down and testing it. Mine is at 96 and its flawless.

If you don't see ASIO in the audio device type menu, you might have to download the driver. I have a gen 2 Focusrite so not sure if the drivers are the same but just google Focusrite ASIO driver. Once the driver is installed, you should see it in the audio device menu. If it's set to windows audio, I don't think you can get rid of the latency. I couldn't. Hope this helps.

** Forgot to add, I don't know about the Bluetooth headset, it should make it better at least. I use monitors so I have no idea.
    I'll Check that, thanks! Currently I don't have an ASIO Option in Neural. I know that's what you have to select as your input in your DAW though, so maybe that's the Problem

Upvote 0

Prolific-JaY

Dec 3, 2020
    Canada
    I'll Check that, thanks! Currently I don't have an ASIO Option in Neural. I know that's what you have to select as your input in your DAW though, so maybe that's the Problem
    Ya I think that should clear up the issue for you. It did for me. Hope it helped! Neural plugins are fantastic once you get the latency sorted out.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Upvote 0

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Ya I think that should clear up the issue for you. It did for me. Hope it helped! Neural plugins are fantastic once you get the latency sorted out.
    Update: I do actually have the ASIO Option, However I don't get any Sound Out of my speakers with this. Now with Windows audio it works and I reduced the Buffer size in neural and the Scarlet to minimal latency. It's better, but still Not gone

Upvote 0

Prolific-JaY

Dec 3, 2020
    Canada
    Update: I do actually have the ASIO Option, However I don't get any Sound Out of my speakers with this. Now with Windows audio it works and I reduced the Buffer size in neural and the Scarlet to minimal latency. It's better, but still Not gone
    Oh that's strange. I'm honestly not too sure about that issue as I haven't experienced that. Are the speakers you're using connected directly to the Focusrite? If you're using the ASIO I think you'd need either monitors hooked into the back of the Focusrite or headphones hooked into the front to get any output but what I gathered from some of your posts is you're just using computer speakers and bluetooth headphones but maybe I misread?

Do you have a set of headphones you can plug into the front of your Focusrite to test if there is audio output from them? I'm not entirely sure if you can use the Focusrite ASIO and have output from another source but I'm also not too advanced with this stuff lol so maybe somebody else will know.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Oh that's strange. I'm honestly not too sure about that issue as I haven't experienced that. Are the speakers you're using connected directly to the Focusrite? If you're using the ASIO I think you'd need either monitors hooked into the back of the Focusrite or headphones hooked into the front to get any output but what I gathered from some of your posts is you're just using computer speakers and bluetooth headphones but maybe I misread?

Do you have a set of headphones you can plug into the front of your Focusrite to test if there is audio output from them? I'm not entirely sure if you can use the Focusrite ASIO and have output from another source but I'm also not too advanced with this stuff lol so maybe somebody else will know.
    You're right, the focusrite is only connected via usb. It's guitar-interface-pc-speakers
    I don't know either, that's what I was wondering for a while - If you use the ASIO aren't you trying to have an Output from the interface? Aren't you then kinda skipping the PC and the amp sim. Don't know, that stuff is confusing to me. I may just talk complete nonsense right now

Upvote 0

Prolific-JaY

Dec 3, 2020
    Canada
    You're right, the focusrite is only connected via usb. It's guitar-interface-pc-speakers
    I don't know either, that's what I was wondering for a while - If you use the ASIO aren't you trying to have an Output from the interface? Aren't you then kinda skipping the PC and the amp sim. Don't know, that stuff is confusing to me. I may just talk complete nonsense right now
    Ya the interface acts as it's own external soundcard. As far as I'm aware, the path would be Guitar>Interface>Neural>Interface>monitors/headset. I'm a noob at all this still lol. You may just have to grab yourself some headphones you can hook into the front of your Focusrite.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Ya the interface acts as it's own external soundcard. As far as I'm aware, the path would be Guitar>Interface>Neural>Interface>monitors/headset. I'm a noob at all this still lol. You may just have to grab yourself some headphones you can hook into the front of your Focusrite.
    I think it works this way. I use Guitar Rig tho, not Neural. With Focusrite ASIO the sound can be devided : PC sound (youtube, chrome, zoom dll) from the PC speakers and simulator/DAW sound comes on headset/amp/monitor connected in the front/back of the interface. We can set pc sound to focusrite output tho, but I prefer sepparated.

Upvote 0