• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Great interview from Fred Archambault

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Just found this on youtube! This is a really great interview from Fred Archambault who produced Waking the Fallen, City of Evil and self-tittled.

Talks about the recording sessions of the guys during those albums and I just really enjoyed this interview! He gives a lot of insight in the behind the scene. Really interesting!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I think.fred mix and mastered. Didn't mudrock produce or did they coproduce it together
    At this level, the mix and master engineers are never the same. It's 2 different process that require 2 set of trained ears for an optimized result! :)

But to your point, Mudrock and Archambault co-produced Waking the fallen and City of evil however the self-tittled was produced by avenged from what I know.

Fred on the self-tittled is credited as an engineer which then I assume that he took over the recording process (which is something he did in WTF and CoE but producer often englobes this role too.)

Mudrock mixed WTF and Andy Wallace mixed CoE and the self-tittled.

Mastering was done by Tom Baker on WTF, Eddie Schreyer on Coe and Brian Gardner for the self-tittled!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    At this level, the mix and master engineers are never the same. It's 2 different process that require 2 set of trained ears for an optimized result! :)

But to your point, Mudrock and Archambault co-produced Waking the fallen and City of evil however the self-tittled was produced by avenged from what I know.

Fred on the self-tittled is credited as an engineer which then I assume that he took over the recording process (which is something he did in WTF and CoE but producer often englobes this role too.)

Mudrock mixed WTF and Andy Wallace mixed CoE and the self-tittled.

Mastering was done by Tom Baker on WTF, Eddie Schreyer on Coe and Brian Gardner for the self-tittled!
    A lot of videos and whatnot say Fred did more mixing and mastering that's why I'm asking. Including the all excess DVD. Maybe I had it backwards? They both were a huge part either way. But you are right self entitled they did themselves. After self entitled they were so good at song writing they decided to start using different producers to get different results and sounds. Foo fighters do this too.. their last 2 albums was produced by a pop dude.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    To set the record straight - WTF was produced by Mudrock & Fred. COE was produced by Mudrock & A7X, and Self-titled was produced by A7X.
    Fred is uber-talented and was a trusted member of the team. No doubt he had input and ideas that went beyond engineer on all three albums.
    Fun fact: Fred was the recording engineer on my live comedy special.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    To set the record straight - WTF was produced by Mudrock & Fred. COE was produced by Mudrock & A7X, and Self-titled was produced by A7X.
    Fred is uber-talented and was a trusted member of the team. No doubt he had input and ideas that went beyond engineer on all three albums.
    Do you think the guys could reconnect with Fred or Mudrock in the future? Do they ever talk about that? It doesn't even have to be for an album, just a single or an EP or something would be cool.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Do you think the guys could reconnect with Fred or Mudrock in the future? Do they ever talk about that? It doesn't even have to be for an album, just a single or an EP or something would be cool.
    I talk to Fred occasionally. He's doing great and working all the time. I haven't spoken to Mudrock in years. I have not heard anything about the possibility of them working together again - so I would doubt it. But one thing I have learned in life - never say never.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Oh yeah, I never meant to reduce his input to just ''engineering'' as more often than not, a producer will/is involved in a lot of different process during the production of a record! And it's undeniable that he is a very knowledgeable and talented man! In the end, the projects that he worked on speak volume about the skills that he has! Including your live comedy special!