• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Greetings From Your Local Nerd

nikolaevakirilova

Free Bird Player
Jan 30, 2021
Pernik, Bulgaria
Advice on how a nerd that has spent four years playing fingerstyle guitar with the help of reading sheet music and also learning different techniques can finally get to know the world of the electric guitar is REALLY appreciated. I might end up posting whatever progress I make but we'll see.
I finally decided to develop the basic skills I've learned on an acoustic which are not only reading sheet music and playing mostly fingerstyle stuff, but also playing by ear, reading tabs and some other things too. I have decided that my electric guitar, which is a Storm ST250, is not going to collect dust any longer.
If you stumble across my profile I'd love to chat.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Welcome!

It all starts with a pick. Get yourself a variety pack and try them all out until you find what you like. The good all-arounder pick (which also happens to be where Syn landed after many years of trying many different things) is a Dunlop Tortex in .73 thickness (the yellow ones). They're not what I use, but they tend to be a great mix of features, feel, and usability that's conducive to getting going and finding your way.

Papa Gates' lessons are almost all geared around an electric guitar approach, and none of them are super long. It makes sense to start at the beginning, as you never know what little nugget he's throwing out that you might not have heard. If there's nothing specific to work on in a lesson, just move on to the next one.

Posting progress is strongly encouraged, and you WILL NOT be trashed - ever. No question is too stupid (except maybe "How awesome is Nickelback?") and there's a wealth of experience here to help you avoid all the terrible time-sucking mistakes the veterans had to deal with.

Enjoy!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Welcome!

I would say the most important thing to start with is deciding the genre you're learning to. For example bends are more common in blues than they are in jazz so that's already a different approach to playing the instrument. Besides that like Ed said getting your hands on some picks is a great idea!

nikolaevakirilova

Free Bird Player
    Jan 30, 2021
    Pernik, Bulgaria
    Welcome!

It all starts with a pick. Get yourself a variety pack and try them all out until you find what you like. The good all-arounder pick (which also happens to be where Syn landed after many years of trying many different things) is a Dunlop Tortex in .73 thickness (the yellow ones). They're not what I use, but they tend to be a great mix of features, feel, and usability that's conducive to getting going and finding your way.

Papa Gates' lessons are almost all geared around an electric guitar approach, and none of them are super long. It makes sense to start at the beginning, as you never know what little nugget he's throwing out that you might not have heard. If there's nothing specific to work on in a lesson, just move on to the next one.

Posting progress is strongly encouraged, and you WILL NOT be trashed - ever. No question is too stupid (except maybe "How awesome is Nickelback?") and there's a wealth of experience here to help you avoid all the terrible time-sucking mistakes the veterans had to deal with.

Enjoy!
    Thank you for the really warm welcome and helpful tips, it's greatly appreciated!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

nikolaevakirilova

Free Bird Player
    Jan 30, 2021
    Pernik, Bulgaria
    Welcome!

I would say the most important thing to start with is deciding the genre you're learning to. For example bends are more common in blues than they are in jazz so that's already a different approach to playing the instrument. Besides that like Ed said getting your hands on some picks is a great idea!
    Thank you for the tips! The different techniques I was talking about are a part of my "default settings" so to say because my guitar teacher (I unfortunately had to quit being his student because I moved to another country) made sure to teach me some a little bit of jazz and country as well, since he knew it would come in handy. At this point I'm thinking about sticking with rock and metal for some time but heck, we're gonna see what's gonna happen. However, I've got to say switching from fingerstyle to pick sucks so far! Again, thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely welcoming message, it is appreciated!

Reactions: idssdi

nikolaevakirilova

Free Bird Player
    Jan 30, 2021
    Pernik, Bulgaria
    Thank you so much, I am stoked to be learning from masters such as you and Syn! I have to say, as I am currently watching the beginner stuff, I have to say the way you explain everything is just so easy to grasp onto and to understand, it really blows my mind.