• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Action

Eoghan Walsh

New Student
Aug 15, 2020
Since they've got the Floyds, action adjustments have a few extra steps. Is the action too high before or past the 12th fret? You're gonna want to make small adjustments at a time, but be aware with a Floyd that you need to make the adjustments equally and together since it operates on a knife point pivot.
I'm not even sure if it is too high tbh. What made me notice was when I played to 20th fret on the first string, it didn't ring out and instead made the sound of the 21st. Also I'm pretty new to this, what do you mean by knife point pivot? Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm not even sure if it is too high tbh. What made me notice was when I played to 20th fret on the first string, it didn't ring out and instead made the sound of the 21st. Also I'm pretty new to this, what do you mean by knife point pivot? Thanks for the help
    Oohh I see, that sounds to me like the 21st fret is high or the 20th fret is low and that's what's happening. That's a bit more difficult to fix unfortunately; you *could* raise the action on that end to possibly remedy it, but that would adversely affect playability for everything else. Does it do it on any other strings/frets?

Also my bad, knife point is just the term for the very thin and precise edge that the Floyd balances on.

Upvote 0

Eoghan Walsh

New Student
    Aug 15, 2020
    Oohh I see, that sounds to me like the 21st fret is high or the 20th fret is low and that's what's happening. That's a bit more difficult to fix unfortunately; you *could* raise the action on that end to possibly remedy it, but that would adversely affect playability for everything else. Does it do it on any other strings/frets?

Also my bad, knife point is just the term for the very thin and precise edge that the Floyd balances on.
    Ohh okay cheers. I haven't found any other frets doing the same thing so I'm not sure what's going on there. Idk if this could help, the bridge itslef is slightly tilted away from the neck. Should it be completely parallel to the body? I'll attach an image to show what I mean.
    IMG_20211210_221652.jpg

You can barely see, but it's tilted down on the right side.

Upvote 0

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ohh okay cheers. I haven't found any other frets doing the same thing so I'm not sure what's going on there. Idk if this could help, the bridge itslef is slightly tilted away from the neck. Should it be completely parallel to the body? I'll attach an image to show what I mean. View attachment 2281
    You can barely see, but it's tilted down on the right side.
    Yes, it’s best to make sure it’s parallel with the body. If you’re comfortable doing it yourself, what you’ll want to do with the bridge leaning back is loosen the springs in the back of the body. Turn the screws on the claw to loosen, and do it a half turn at a time, then retune to proper tension and repeat until the bridge lays flat.

Upvote 0

Eoghan Walsh

New Student
    Aug 15, 2020
    Yes, it’s best to make sure it’s parallel with the body. If you’re comfortable doing it yourself, what you’ll want to do with the bridge leaning back is loosen the springs in the back of the body. Turn the screws on the claw to loosen, and do it a half turn at a time, then retune to proper tension and repeat until the bridge lays flat.
    Alright, cheers bro, you don't know how much help you've been. One last thing, if I do this wrong is there any potential damage I could cause?

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Anyone who has Synyster's signature schecter model, how do you adjust the action? I think mines too high and can't figure it out.
    That usually means the bridge (The floyd rose) is too low. If anything above the 15th fret or so is "bottoming out," that's usually the case.

Reactions: SimonEichinger
    Upvote 0