• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Choice

Mihai_17

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing why you have narrowed it down to those two guitars. What is it about those two that interest you in particular?

IMO, if you are picking these soley because they are Kirk and Syn customs, you are picking them for the wrong reasons.
I am a big fan of metallica and their tone and also a big fan of a7x and syn's solos so ... mmmhmh ...yeah

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I am a big fan of metallica and their tone and also a big fan of a7x and syn's solos so ... mmmhmh ...yeah

That's cool, and kind of what I expected to hear, but keep in mind you don't need Kirks guitar to get a Metallica tone or Syns guitar to play his solos. Both of these guitars will be awesome guitars (I have an ESP and it kicks ass!), just pick the one that best meets your needs.

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Im with the other two, with special emphasis on trying them before you buy. These guitars arent cheap by any means, so if you can try them out at a store, do it! That’ll make your decision that much easier. When i want to buy a new guitar, i dont have this luxury, so i research the shit out of the guitar, watch multiple demo’s, check for versatility, etc. with most signature guitars costing 1200 and up, its definitely something i wouldnt take lightly as “idk which band i like better” because you could order a syn custom, love the way it looks but hate how it plays! Same with the Kirk signature. I love Jimi hendrix, but cannot stand to play a strat! Weird right? Everyone’s different so i encourage you to try before you buy

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Agreed. While there are tone snobs who will argue otherwise, a guitar is probably the LEAST important piece of the puzzle for capturing someone's tone, as long as the pickups are in the ballpark. Both Syn and Kirk models have humbuckers, which gets you 90% of the way there. You should look for a guitar that feels good to you, has the features you want/need (i.e. Floyd Rose bridge, like both of those models have) and inspires you to want to play more and better. The closest I have to a signature model is a Les Paul, which is so ubiquitous now that people forget there was actually a guy named Les Paul and it was his signature model.

Mihai_17

Nov 11, 2019
    Have you played these guitars in person yet to get a feel of them? Have you ever used a floyd rose tremolo and are you comfortable with the idea of restringing one as well as doing regular maintenance and set ups with one? If yes to both of these than I think you should go for it!
    Unfortunately there is no serious guitarshop in my country and i cant test them , although i asked my father to let me like 30 minutes in some good guitarshop when we will go to europe, but because of this corona fucking virus i dont think this will happen soon. Thank you for the advice!

Mihai_17

Nov 11, 2019
    Im with the other two, with special emphasis on trying them before you buy. These guitars arent cheap by any means, so if you can try them out at a store, do it! That’ll make your decision that much easier. When i want to buy a new guitar, i dont have this luxury, so i research the shit out of the guitar, watch multiple demo’s, check for versatility, etc. with most signature guitars costing 1200 and up, its definitely something i wouldnt take lightly as “idk which band i like better” because you could order a syn custom, love the way it looks but hate how it plays! Same with the Kirk signature. I love Jimi hendrix, but cannot stand to play a strat! Weird right? Everyone’s different so i encourage you to try before you buy
    Thanks for your usefull advice man

hypertensao

Garage band Groupie
    Jul 11, 2020
    Portugak
    Unfortunately there is no serious guitarshop in my country and i cant test them , although i asked my father to let me like 30 minutes in some good guitarshop when we will go to europe, but because of this corona fucking virus i dont think this will happen soon. Thank you for the advice!
    Advice: You will end up paying more in Europe for a guitar than in the States (or asia). Higher consumer taxes plus currency exchange will make it more expensive than buying same guitar in states. Then you have the hassle/danger to put it on a plane (extra luggage+insurance+wasted time)

Last edited: