• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar legends

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
Jul 12, 2021
Hey guys hope y'all are doing well.
I just wanted to ask, we all know eddi van halen Right? He created his own unique way of playing, introduced new techniques and all, and we all consider him a legend.
But now, there are players like tim henson and scottie lepage who have created such unique playing styles but they don't get as famous or recognized like the old greats. Why is that?
Is it because, at this age, instrument based musc doesn't hve a place like it did back then?

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
I agree, it is because now all your popular or “pop” music is all made by computers and synthesizers so no one really recognizes music with instruments the same. Obviously, there are those who still appreciate instrument music just as much as the people back then but when it comes to the majority, people are going to look up at the people who do not.

I think another reason could be that rock, metal, and in Polyphia’s case progressive music just doesn’t spark with as much people unfortunately. I don’t know that is just my point of view on this. Scottie has got to be one of my top guitarists especially after Ego Death came out. I’m sure Polyphia will start shining more in the future especially with the path they are taking by collaborating with very popular musicians.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The era of the Guitar Hero came to a rather abrupt end in 1991/92. That was when ordinary (non-musician) people stopped caring about who the guitar player was.

There are certainly guitar heroes out there, but they're known mostly to just guitar players and serious guitar fans. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Syn and Mark Tremonti.

This is not to say there aren't a lot more, and even a lot better, out there, but these are the ones non-musicians seem to recognize the most.

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    I really enjoy this topic, it's a good one to bring up.

In my personal opinion, EVH was a guitar hero in his inception, and nothing more. Slash, BB King, all the great legends were nothing but pure musicians, and that's why they were TRUE heroes.

However, nowadays most guitarists are not "heroes", they are social media stars and businesspeople.

By the majority, they're not writing memorable riffs that are played across every music store in the world. They are not writing timeless solos we can sing or that makes others want to be the next jukebox hero.

That's just my thoughts as a whole. But to kind of answer your question as to why those you mentioned aren't getting notoriety is because I believe the market is all on social media now and the algorithms show us what to like, therfore those you mentioned get lost in the heavily flawless saturation of tiktok reels.

One of my favorite guitarists of all time has never been on one issue of guitar world or anything, yet he is truly one of the

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021
    I agree, it is because now all your popular or “pop” music is all made by computers and synthesizers so no one really recognizes music with instruments the same. Obviously, there are those who still appreciate instrument music just as much as the people back then but when it comes to the majority, people are going to look up at the people who do not.

I think another reason could be that rock, metal, and in Polyphia’s case progressive music just doesn’t spark with as much people unfortunately. I don’t know that is just my point of view on this. Scottie has got to be one of my top guitarists especially after Ego Death came out. I’m sure Polyphia will start shining more in the future especially with the path they are taking by collaborating with very popular musicians.
    I really hope this happens for polyphia.
    and honestly nothing in a pop song can elevate me like a guitar solo does. And goddd they have such predictable bridges these pop songs. 🤣🤣

Synner Endless Summer Collection

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021

In my personal opinion, EVH was a guitar hero in his inception, and nothing more. Slash, BB King, all the great legends were nothing but pure musicians, and that's why they were TRUE heroes.

However, nowadays most guitarists are not "heroes", they are social media stars and businesspeople.

By the majority, they're not writing memorable riffs that are played across every music store in the world. They are not writing timeless solos we can sing or that makes others want to be the next jukebox hero.

That's just my thoughts as a whole. But to kind of answer your question as to why those you mentioned aren't getting notoriety is because I believe the market is all on social media now and the algorithms show us what to like, therfore those you mentioned get lost in the heavily flawless saturation of tiktok reels.

One of my favorite guitarists of all time has never been on one issue of guitar world or anything, yet he is truly one of theI

One of my favorite guitarists of all time has never been on one issue of guitar world or anything, yet he is truly one of the
    dude so truee. Honestly nowadays people are like,"if it's famous, I'll like it even if it's not really my thing" but hey, we are here, we'll keep guitar music alive!!!
    ps. Looking forward to ur album jak!

• Love
    Reactions: JakAngelescu

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    dude so truee. Honestly nowadays people are like,"if it's famous, I'll like it even if it's not really my thing" but hey, we are here, we'll keep guitar music alive!!!
    ps. Looking forward to ur album jak!
    OMG thank you brother! I appreciate that!

Unfortunately, the album has massively been pushed back again. My singer had a massive cancer scare. She now has a thyroid cyst which it's been advised for her not to sing at the moment.

But she'll be back up and running again sometime after we figure out a plan for her. Getting the part removed would only damage her vocals more.

I appreciate the love!

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    Hey guys hope y'all are doing well.
    I just wanted to ask, we all know eddi van halen Right? He created his own unique way of playing, introduced new techniques and all, and we all consider him a legend.
    But now, there are players like tim henson and scottie lepage who have created such unique playing styles but they don't get as famous or recognized like the old greats. Why is that?
    Is it because, at this age, instrument based musc doesn't hve a place like it did back then?
    Growing up, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo and Buckethead were some of the guitarists that I felt were overlooked. Each one brought a unique style with virtuous level talent.

But IMO… fame has other criteria. Which includes being palatable to the masses. VH nailed that perfectly. It has something for everyone.