• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

GUITAR LESSONS INCOMING!!

Hector Trejo

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Houston, TX
– Eric, Thank you so much! I’m definitely working on em!
– Calvin, I’m so sorry that happened to you, I heard about that! Yeah dude, shoot me a dm on instagram, can’t wait to hear what you have so far!
– Andrew, I really appreciate the enthusiasm, I really do. But for now, I’m going to keep these videos exclusive. Yes I agree with you as well. Knowing music theory and knowing how to break down songs/solos is truly a blessing but its also a curse. It makes you listen to things differently. Everytime I hear a song for the first few times, I really try to appreciate the mystery behind it before I try to start dissecting it. Its kind of like magic tricks..weirdly…Its nice not knowing the secrets behind the trick because it keeps it interesting…. but its also really cool knowing how it works. But once you find out how it does work, you never look at it the same again, you know?
– Ed, I really hope these do help! I don’t know if I’ve already said this but I tend to look at the things I play as segments. Like when I play an A minor sweep, I don’t think as each individual note as its own entity. In other words, I don’t think ( A C E A C E C A E C A )… I think (A minor shape). So only 1 signal travels through my brain as opposed to many. It keeps things simple. And once guitarists are able to see music in that way, its what really helps with not just playing but with memory. Its easier to remember lets say 8 segments as opposed to 64 notes…

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hector, that’s where I’m having the hardest time breaking away from old habits – doing the chunking like that in my head. I know the fingers are more than capable, but breaking down that speed wall for stuff like this really is all in my head, and I don’t know how to fully get around it yet. Working on it! Thanks!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Whether or not I think shapes or separate notes usually depends on at what speed I’m playing it. For example if it is a melody line based around an arpeggios(which due to my gypsy jazz influence it usually is) I’ll think separate notes because it helps with note choice. When I go fast I tend to just think shapes because it’s pretty much just muscle memory for me and you tend to run patterns tbh.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’m with ids here. I think I’m most cases I’m thinking what notes do I wanna choose but once I speed it up it’s just instincts and all I’m thinking is where do I want to go. So the paths I take becoming paths I’m confident with. Most of those paths for me are still horizontal but I’m starting to push more verticle withmy newer material.