• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar noise

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hi all

I have 2 guitars and 1 of them is making a lot of noise, especially compared to other one, who has no extra noise. When i play with Epiphone Les Paul custom pro, there is a lot of noise (while i do nothing, just plug guitar in en set amp on), while my volumes are really low (on guitar and on amp). When i use my Jackson Misha Mansoor guitar, there is no noise and i can set volume high on guitar and amp without trouble. I tried it while using same amp settings and different sounds. My amp is boss katana 50.
Its anoying! So anyone know how to fix it (or just sell my Epiphone lol)?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    There's a BIG dollar difference between those two guitars, and one of the most important differences in them that saves cost is the pickups. Stock pickups on less-expensive guitars are very often noisy. If you love the feel of the Epiphone and want to keep it, you might want to look into replacing the pickups. You don't need to go super-fancy like Bareknuckles or Fishmans - even a nice set of Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups can make a world of difference.

I've noodled with some of the Bulb guitars - they're outstanding all around, and something I would totally consider.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    They CAN, but it can also be a grounding problem in the guitar. If you're not comfortable poking around under the wiring cover on the back, take it in to a guitar shop to be looked at. As a bonus, if they determine everything is wired correctly and happy, you can buy pickups right there and ask them to install for you.

• Love
    Reactions: Aceluek and Kim

JetFixxxer

One Stringer
    Jun 9, 2020
    I would check grounds first. Especially the one in the tail stop.

When you say noise is it the 60/50 cycle hum? Did you get the Epiphone new or used? Does the noise go away or change if rest your palm on the tail stop and the touch the strings with the same hand? Does it go away if the volume pots are turned all the way down?

The pickups would be the last thing I would troubleshoot. They are most likely potted and are not as microphonic as non potted. If you can sing into your pickups and actually hear yourself through the amp then you have microphonic pickups. It would be also easier to create feedback if your pickups where microphonic.

• Love
    Reactions: Kim

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    When you say noise is it the 60/50 cycle hum? Did you get the Epiphone new or used? Does the noise go away or change if rest your palm on the tail stop and the touch the strings with the same hand? Does it go away if the volume pots are turned all the way down?

Guitar is new.
    yes, the noise is less when i put my hands on string.
    When i put volume down it goes away

Thanks both for advice! I called guitar reparation shop and they will take a look at it

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Aceluek

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 23, 2019
    Corona, California
    www.youtube.com
    They CAN, but it can also be a grounding problem in the guitar. If you're not comfortable poking around under the wiring cover on the back, take it in to a guitar shop to be looked at. As a bonus, if they determine everything is wired correctly and happy, you can buy pickups right there and ask them to install for you.
    It sounds like a grounding issue, most likely due to bad solder connection.

Reactions: Ed Seith

tamagotchigraveyard

Campfire Attention Holder
    Oct 26, 2020
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah check your tremolo ground, its prob a cold solder joint

(Edit: After reading that it quiets when your hands touch the strings, it is 110% a ground issue. There is one of three issues

1. bad solder joint at tremolo ground
    2. bad solder joint on pot ground
    3. bad solder joint on audio jack

Reactions: Kim

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah check your tremolo ground, its prob a cold solder joint

(Edit: After reading that it quiets when your hands touch the strings, it is 110% a ground issue. There is one of three issues

1. bad solder joint at tremolo ground
    2. bad solder joint on pot ground
    3. bad solder joint on audio jack
    Thankd for your reply, good to know its probably one of those things. 2 weeks from now i have appointment at guitar repairer, so he could probably fix it :)