• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar pick up selector

RyanDoughman

Garage band Groupie
Nov 22, 2020
Hi for Christmas I got the Schecter synyster gates standard guitar and when I put the pick up selector in the bridge position it goes into like an acoustic sound like it’s not going through the preamp in my amp. Does anyone know anything that could help thanks. (This problem only happens sometimes)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Sounds like it's only making partial connection. Electrical contact spray is relatively cheap and will not harm anything. I agree with Ids that it's not the input jack. It's either the switch itself, or the wiring of the bridge pickup. Most likely the switch.

Contact cleaner can be sprayed into the switch from the front (spray a bit - not sparse, but don't soak it either) and then work the switch back and forth a few dozen times - like a child sitting in the passenger seat of the car that can't leave the power locks button alone. Wipe any contact spray off the body of the guitar.

If that offers no improvement, take the cover off the electronics cavity on the back of the guitar. That's the weird, not-quite-circular cover back there. Once inside, you can use the contact cleaner on any connection or joint, but focus on the three-way switch's connections.

If none of that helps, bring it back to the store. They can either fix it under warranty (if you bought it new) or *should* fix it free or cheap if you bought it from them used.

Contact spray will NOT void any warranty, and the only possible damage it could do is if you left it on the paint.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Eric Kane

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I have found that the switch is definitely a weak spot on the Syn guitars. I have had this issue on 3 of the 4 Syn guitars I have. Contact spray helped (at least for a little bit) on 2 of them. But now one of them is acting up again. I just ordered new Switchcraft switches and I'm getting ready to replace the factory ones now.

Upvote 0