• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar strings

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The heavier the string the easier it is to solo.

I disagree sharply with this. It depends on HOW you like to solo. Heavier strings are much harder to bend and vibrato, and for the new player, they can be seriously painful to play on.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I love d'addario strings great tones but what gauge would be the best
    For standard tuning, start with the standard gauges (9-42 is light and 10-46 would be closest to "standard") for electric guitar. If you like how your guitar feels right now, you can find out what string gauge (and possibly brand) it was shipped with from the factory.

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    For standard tuning, start with the standard gauges (9-42 is light and 10-46 would be closest to "standard") for electric guitar.
    Definitely agree with this! Especially if this is you're first time trying out new gauges. For Standard (and pretty much everything I play down to C Standard, I've found 10-52's tends to be what I like. I've tried out the lighter 9-42's and they were pretty damn light for what I like. 12-56's I must say were far too heavy for Eb Standard let alone E standard. I've never had more sore fingers than the 3 month period when I used those haha.

Reactions: Deyanrasul
    Upvote 0