• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar strings

Bennina997

Garage band Groupie
Aug 15, 2022
Hi guys! I'm here with a question about the guitar strings. I play an old and cheap electric guitar (model Les Paul) and I've always used to use strings with 10-46 scale. Currently, I'm using the Ernie Ball regular slinky (the ones with the green pack). My question is, if I want to try the super slinky (the ones with the pink pack), which are 9-42 scale, could I have some kind of problems with my guitar? Is the string scale related to the guitar model, or is just up to the style/type of music you're going to play? I've always put the 11-52 on the acoustic guitar and the 10-46 on the electric, but I've never tried the 9-42 and I'm just curious.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The only issue might be the need for intonation and truss rod adjustments, but neither is a big deal. I love 9-42s, and have always come back to them, even on my Les Paul.

String gauge is ONLY about personal preference, unless you're getting into baritone (long scale) models. The strings you want to use and have used in the past are fine for your Fender/Japanese/USA models (25.5"), Gibson (24.75") and PRS (25"), as well as them fancy multi-scale jobs like my Ormsby (25.5-26.5")

Shark.jpg

Upvote 0

Bennina997

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 15, 2022
    The only issue might be the need for intonation and truss rod adjustments, but neither is a big deal. I love 9-42s, and have always come back to them, even on my Les Paul.

String gauge is ONLY about personal preference, unless you're getting into baritone (long scale) models. The strings you want to use and have used in the past are fine for your Fender/Japanese/USA models (25.5"), Gibson (24.75") and PRS (25"), as well as them fancy multi-scale jobs like my Ormsby (25.5-26.5")

View attachment 3253
    Thank you so much! I'm gonna think about it, and in case I'm gonna bring my guitar to a luthier, so I'll be sure that I'm not gonna ruin it

Upvote 0