• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar tuning

Ryan Peters

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everybody!

I just picked up my first guitar today and am having a little trouble trying to tune it. I downloaded a few different tuning apps, but I must be doing something wrong because when I try to just tune it in standard the tuners will say I'm playing a different string than I am. For example, when I try tuning the high E string it says I'm playing B. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Shade
Solution
Well phone tuners can be quite decent as Alex said, depending on the quality of the mic though I personally prefer clip on tuners and so I would recommend them.

That being said, for your issue specifically, I am gonna go on a wild guess that while tuning your high E string, you simply haven't tuned high enough yet and the tuners assumes you are in the ''B strings'' range.

But since you mention that you picked up your first guitar today, I would actually recommend you to tune with youtube videos like this one:

Simply because it will familiarize you with how the notes actually sound and it will give you a better awareness of how it should sound and it will make tuning with an app easier down the line because you will...

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Well phone tuners can be quite decent as Alex said, depending on the quality of the mic though I personally prefer clip on tuners and so I would recommend them.

That being said, for your issue specifically, I am gonna go on a wild guess that while tuning your high E string, you simply haven't tuned high enough yet and the tuners assumes you are in the ''B strings'' range.

But since you mention that you picked up your first guitar today, I would actually recommend you to tune with youtube videos like this one:

Simply because it will familiarize you with how the notes actually sound and it will give you a better awareness of how it should sound and it will make tuning with an app easier down the line because you will be familiar with how it should sound.

Anyways, congrats on your first guitar dude! Very exciting! Please share your progress with us here and if you need any help, all you need to do is ask! :) :rock-hand:

Solution

Ryan Peters

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019

Simply because it will familiarize you with how the notes actually sound and it will give you a better awareness of how it should sound and it will make tuning with an app easier down the line because you will be familiar with how it should sound.

Anyways, congrats on your first guitar dude! Very exciting! Please share your progress with us here and if you need any help, all you need to do is ask! :) :rock-hand:
    Thank you so much for the response! I figured I was screwing up somehow haha. I'll give this a try!

Edit: That was definately the issue. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0