• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guys, practice the Etudes!!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    So, I know Jak is preaching this already but she is so right with it. Practice. The. Etudes. You don't need to nail them at all, just spend time with them, practice them with a metronome. It will help your playing, dexteritiy, agility, speed and everything immensely if you take them seriously.

I realized this again because I've been practicing Alternate Picking I for quite a while now and although I'm stuck at around 80 bpm I became so much faster without even realizing it. Background's this. I wanted to get a cover up today, which I achieved. Only that idea of covering this came to my mind around four days ago. It's Room 409 by Bullet for my Valentine, you can check it out if you want. Point is, there is a solo in it with a quite speedy run and I had to record it within two days. And the run basicly played itself. It was so natural to play the notes. Admitting, I struggle to play it up to speed but I picked it up in no time because I practiced a shitload of Alternate Picking lately.

Enough from me, do you guys have any practice videos of the Etudes or videos where you could put to use what you picked up? Let's make this a thread to show the Impact of the glorious Syn Etud's!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    The Syn etudes are a bit out of my reach at the moment. Definitely working up to it thought lol. They’re very intimidating for someone like me lol. I’ve watched them but not had the guts to try them 😂
    But that is exactly what I was talking about. Yeah you won't be able to Play them perfectly for quite a while. But trying and learning the Finger movement will Help your Overall playing immensely! :)

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    But that is exactly what I was talking about. Yeah you won't be able to Play them perfectly for quite a while. But trying and learning the Finger movement will Help your Overall playing immensely! :)
    I'd argue that anything you practise will improv.your playing immensely. Everything is an etude in some way. Syn just puts together some neat patterns. If there is anyetude id focus on as a beginner it's the around the world ones. You can do it 1 lick at a time and when you're ready move.onto the next part. Eventually you'll see s pattern and the rest is history.

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa

@Dominik Graeber (Or Chad for that matter). I checked out the first etude and decided to try it out myself. Besides practice, practice, practice...any suggestions? At 6:23 is where I halved the original 120 to 60 and played 1/8ths. Playing that note in between the clicker was honestly a lot more mentally challenging than I thought it would be. And I haven't even attempted the 16ths yet. But hopefully this is a good baseline to mark improvement off of down the road.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    I'd argue that anything you practise will improv.your playing immensely. Everything is an etude in some way. Syn just puts together some neat patterns. If there is anyetude id focus on as a beginner it's the around the world ones. You can do it 1 lick at a time and when you're ready move.onto the next part. Eventually you'll see s pattern and the rest is history.

What's the around the world practices?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    There are a couple penatonic exercises that take you all over the place on a 3 1 3 and a 3 1 1 3 pattern. They are in the middle of the bunch. They start on low e and you end on high e at the end. They take time and I'd imagine to memorize would take a month or two. But you'll know every 3 1 3 in prnstonics by the end of it.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

@Dominik Graeber (Or Chad for that matter). I checked out the first etude and decided to try it out myself. Besides practice, practice, practice...any suggestions? At 6:23 is where I halved the original 120 to 60 and played 1/8ths. Playing that note in between the clicker was honestly a lot more mentally challenging than I thought it would be. And I haven't even attempted the 16ths yet. But hopefully this is a good baseline to mark improvement off of down the road.
    Instead.of doing it in halfs do it as triplets let's do the math.

120to 60 and the half so you're playing quarters there right? It sounds like you want it a bit faster. I think if you set it to 180 you'll be able to play it on every click and be at pr near the same rate. Then you could go back later and try it the way you were doing it. You'll subconsciously forget its slower.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com

Awesome! Just keep it up!

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    Instead.of doing it in halfs do it as triplets let's do the math.

120to 60 and the half so you're playing quarters there right? It sounds like you want it a bit faster. I think if you set it to 180 you'll be able to play it on every click and be at pr near the same rate. Then you could go back later and try it the way you were doing it. You'll subconsciously forget its slower.

Ok, yeah that makes sense. The reason for going in quarters was based off of the etude because I'd want to work into the backing track, which was in a 4/4 time sig. I'm still not very good on the different signatures haha. Thank you for the suggestion! I'll give it a try in the morning.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ok, yeah that makes sense. The reason for going in quarters was based off of the etude because I'd want to work into the backing track, which was in a 4/4 time sig. I'm still not very good on the different signatures haha. Thank you for the suggestion! I'll give it a try in the morning.
    Well 180 is 4 4 still. Its literally the same multiples. You will just beat more beats within the measure now. This is how I practice me sweeps. I slow the metronome down when I get to the actually song on lead. I play rhythm at 180 for my chugs but lead I usually just go slow but practice time always 180.

Reactions: Kai C

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    There are a couple penatonic exercises that take you all over the place on a 3 1 3 and a 3 1 1 3 pattern. They are in the middle of the bunch. They start on low e and you end on high e at the end. They take time and I'd imagine to memorize would take a month or two. But you'll know every 3 1 3 in prnstonics by the end of it.

Holy shit yeah those would take a while. Sounds like a good way to practice though.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Holy shit yeah those would take a while. Sounds like a good way to practice though.
    I dont see speed as an issue in those etudes. The goal isnt really to go fast. It's to learn the positions of the pattern. It's a pattern I haven't tried myself yet but I want to as economy picking is an area I need to better myself and pull me out of comfort zones.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    I dont see speed as an issue in those etudes. The goal isnt really to go fast. It's to learn the positions of the pattern. It's a pattern I haven't tried myself yet but I want to as economy picking is an area I need to better myself and pull me out of comfort zones.

Right now I'm not necessarily trying to shred it out and play lightning fast. But I do want to be faster than I am now. And definitely more precise and confident going at any speed. These vids are definitely good at showing different positions to play all over the neck at any speed. Really sad that I haven't been checking these sooner.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    That's exactly it. There are so many patterns. You really just gotta decide how you want to take the trip yourself from a to b. That's what really makes you yourself as a guitarist. You can sound like someone.. but be usually a completely different scale then they are. AMD that's what makes you you. And the good ones will see the difference whole the casual cliche type will think you're "trying to be like syn"

Fuck those guys.

Reactions: Kai C