• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Gyspy Jazz Recommendations

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Django Reinhardt is the father of Gypsy. Listen to some of his songs - especially the early ones from the 20s &30s. There are many modern Gypsy players. Ids listed them in his post. If you want lessons, look up Robin Nolan. He has devoted his life to teaching Gypsy. He has many "free" videos out as well as a great online school.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Atzel

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 16, 2019
Django Reinhardt is the father of Gypsy. Listen to some of his songs - especially the early ones from the 20s &30s. There are many modern Gypsy players. Ids listed them in his post. If you want lessons, look up Robin Nolan. He has devoted his life to teaching Gypsy. He has many "free" videos out as well as a great online school.
I just got motivated to grab my guitar and take those lessons.
Thank you!!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yes, Robin is great! Pretty much everything gypsy I know comes from him with perhaps a tiny little bit of Yaakov Hoter added to it(the gypsy picking part really)!

His teachings also are very hands on in the sense that it's based around learning how to make music and play over chords which is effectively how I learned to play so it works great for me!