• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Happy birthday, Randy.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Still one of the very few whose playing can send chills up my spine. 12/06/56-3/19/82. Even I was too young to have seen him play. I only discovered who he (and Ozzy) were a few years after his passing. This photo is unpublished. It's from his sister's personal archives - she posts them from time to time on Instagram under the name @dargmama.

1575639931676.png

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'm too young to even know him, just read his name all the time when seeing like ANY V guitar at Thomann. He had a big impact on the guitar community it seems.

Give a listen to Ozzy's first two solo albums, Blizzard of Ozz and ESPECIALLY Diary of a Madman. The title track on Diary will give you an idea what Randy would become had a plane crash not ended his life. Also, the outro solo on "Tonight" and several others. Then listen to the Tribute live album, and remember this was all in and around 1981. Holy shitballs.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Give a listen to Ozzy's first two solo albums, Blizzard of Ozz and ESPECIALLY Diary of a Madman. The title track on Diary will give you an idea what Randy would become had a plane crash not ended his life. Also, the outro solo on "Tonight" and several others. Then listen to the Tribute live album, and remember this was all in and around 1981. Holy shitballs.
    Speak of the Devil, the live album following the maestro was great as well.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Don't forget about the Quiet Riot albums!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Yes Sir, I will do my homework!

J

Jak Angelescu

This is an amazing post and I loved reading all the comments! Although I obviously never got to see him play live, I really started getting into him in Los Angeles when I tried to learn mother Earth. That solo as my favorite Randy solo of all time. One of the stories I do have though, is that when I was struggling as a guitarist in Los Angeles, we were trying to find a studio to record at and we were touring many different Studios. I actually had a dream that I was sitting down with Randy with guitars in our hands in one of the recording booths. He was talking to me about guitar stuff and how I needed to improve my left hand technique😂. It was really incredible because there were some words of advice he gave me and I know it may sound cheesy to some people but it was one of the coolest fucking dreams I've ever had

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Yeah I was born in 2003 so I didnt know who was him so I went to check and man, the guy is awesome!!! Wow!! He's so good. One of my favorites now :')
    There are a ton of eighties guitarists you should check out. I'm actually more into the guitarists of old than now, George Lynch is a monster, if you like Rhodes then you'll enjoy him as well.

Reactions: Rute Rodrigues

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Lynch is still awesome. Warren DeMartini from Ratt was awesome. Vito Bratta put brilliance in the cheese of White Lion. So many great ones.
    You're right, Lynch's playing is still great, his tone is very different these days, it isn't really that gain centric tone he had with Dokken, it's more of a normal hard rock at the moment. The guys in Def Leppard are underrated as well I believe, the Clark/Willis line-up I mean, those first few Leppard albums are insane.