• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hardware/Software

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Looking to get a computer and some recording equipment to make a studio in my attic but I’m not sure what kind of computer I should get. I’m really just looking for a laptop that I can record my guitar tracks and vocals onto. I don’t have all of the money in the world to spend on a computer but I do have enough money to get a laptop, audio interface, a couple of microphones, etc. I’m just trying to stay within a reasonable budget. Any suggestions?

Reactions: William B.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Looking to get a computer and some recording equipment to make a studio in my attic but I’m not sure what kind of computer I should get. I’m really just looking for a laptop that I can record my guitar tracks and vocals onto. I don’t have all of the money in the world to spend on a computer but I do have enough money to get a laptop, audio interface, a couple of microphones, etc. I’m just trying to stay within a reasonable budget. Any suggestions?
    Well, you have to be more precise with your budget because resonable budget can change from one person to another!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Monitors and/or headphones too. I heard monitors are better than normal speakers for recording, don't remember why though.
    Cables, maybe a midi keyboard/touchpad to work with the DAW, it's probably useful.
    Some ideas
    Reaper seems like a nice free software to work with, I think if bought it's cheaper than some other DAW's

Not too sure but Ram maybe important for editing video/sound. I don't really know much about how computers work.
    Maybe aim for good battery life too
    heard about external hard drives so built in memory maybe doesn't need to be outrageous

my words is all maybes o_O

Last edited:

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Reverb can be your best friend for used audio equipment. just as good as new, but cheaper lol. A good single input audio interface is a Scarlett Solo which can be picked up for around $100 - $150 CAD. An excellent mic to record your amp (if that's the method you're choosing) is a Sennheiser e609 which is also around $100 - $150 CAD. you'll also need an XLR cable to connect the mic to the interface which isn't much.

You'll also need to think about a DAW in which you're going to use. There are some decent free ones but im not well versed with those so I wouldn't be able to suggest one. I personally use Logic on my MacBook

Synner Endless Summer Collection