• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Heavier v lighter hand

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey all, I have come back from 2 really long shifts at work and purposely don’t play guitar because its not enough time to get into it before I have to put it down again. I picked it up and noticed my hand is uber loose and it got me thinking, do people prefer this? I like to have a pretty heavy hand with tight movements and I always rest my hand on the body. I honestly can’t play another way as it doesn’t give me the control I desire but I was curious to see if anyone plays with it floating or if they can adapt to both?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    My hand is really loose for most of the stuff I play. I do most of the things from the wrist. I think the only acceptation is pretty much when I have to play tight metal stuff otherwise including fast technical solos my hand is pretty loose.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I tend to play rather tight, with minimal movement on both hands overall. I generally find this allows me to be much more precise and it works better since I prefer thinner string gauges to begin with so I’m not throwing the tuning sharp by hitting the strings too hard. Minimal movement is my go-to.