• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hello! I signed up last week.

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Welcome Lizzie! Yes, I can teach you - but even better - we have a community to help you when you get stuck!
    Get involved. Ask questions. (And don't be afraid to ask "beginner" questions). Everyone is here to help.
    We are all on the same path. Some of us are just further along that path.
    Have fun!!!
    pg
    Thank you! Everyone is so nice! I got one scale sounding pretty okay yesterday so that’s my first success 😂

I like having the linear lesson plans because that’s how I learned violin, but I also like that everyone is here to talk guitar and help other people.

Thank you for responding to me! I am really enjoying the site and content (and the people!!!)

guitar man

New Student
    Nov 17, 2021
    Welcome Lizzie! Yes, I can teach you - but even better - we have a community to help you when you get stuck!
    Get involved. Ask questions. (And don't be afraid to ask "beginner" questions). Everyone is here to help.
    We are all on the same path. Some of us are just further along that path.
    Have fun!!!
    pg
    Can you teach me? I'm doing this for band purposes. @Brian Haner Sr.

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Welcome Lizzie, we’re happy to have you! As PG said, don’t be afraid to ask questions! We have an incredibly supportive community which double as a treasure trove of knowledge for everyone! 😄
    Thank you so much! This is probably the nicest online community I’ve ever seen, I’m really impressed. I’ll do my best to post videos and get feedback and just absorb all the knowledge I can!

Reactions: Jamie London
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The cello is SO MAGICAL! Such beautiful rich sound.
    And yes, my left hand is working great but also protesting - I am trying to convince my tiny, tiny violinist fingers to STRETCH and reach for the chords 😂 All in time. It’s so fun to start learning again.
    Yes it's magical! But I have to say that I am having a hell of a hard time with the notes precision. Having no frets makes things more complicated 😅 Oh well!

Take your time with the instrument! Honestly, going from the smaller fingerboards of a violin to a guitar fretboard is a massive change but it's nothing you won't handle! Also, I am sure that learning how to hold a pick will be MUCH easier than learning to hold a bow 😉

• Haha
    Reactions: megalizzie
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Yes it's magical! But I have to say that I am having a hell of a hard time with the notes precision. Having no frets makes things more complicated 😅 Oh well!

Take your time with the instrument! Honestly, going from the smaller fingerboards of a violin to a guitar fretboard is a massive change but it's nothing you won't handle! Also, I am sure that learning how to hold a pick will be MUCH easier than learning to hold a bow 😉
    I can’t reach anythinggggg on guitar 😂😂 I also can’t reach anything on the cello, there’s a reason I play violin 😂

The fretless thing is a real struggle!! I’m glad there are frets on guitar (but I still cannot reach them so it makes no difference ahahaha)

and yes!! Funny you say that about the pick, I was definitely holding it wrong until I watched the lesson about it. I know I’ll get better at strumming with practice but man, a proper bow stroke is a whole situation.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I can’t reach anythinggggg on guitar 😂😂 I also can’t reach anything on the cello, there’s a reason I play violin 😂

The fretless thing is a real struggle!! I’m glad there are frets on guitar (but I still cannot reach them so it makes no difference ahahaha)

and yes!! Funny you say that about the pick, I was definitely holding it wrong until I watched the lesson about it. I know I’ll get better at strumming with practice but man, a proper bow stroke is a whole situation.
    Fretless really annoys me most because I already have a trained ear and so I know when I'm in tune and when I'm not! So it's so annoying when I play fine and then suddenly I don't place my finger at the EXACT spot and so it's just slightly flat or sharp 😂

But for real, practice will make you able to reach all notes! The more you practice, the more natural you'll be, you know the drill! Don't worry, I know you'll get there! But if anything, you could also learn to play the ukulele! When I try to play one I feel like my hands are just too big so might be something that works for you ;)

Yesss I am so happy you're already getting the hang of pickholding! Exactly, with practice you'll be able to strum in no time! But bowing... that's just so hard. The way to hold a bow is so weird and unnatural and even then, I keep hitting the other strings all the time!! I really need to improve that, not sure how it is on violin but on cello... ouch

Reactions: Ed Seith

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Welcome Lizzie! I’m so excited to have you here, our family is an amazing unit of extremely diverse individuals that have so much to offer each other. I hope to learn a little violin from you as well if you ever feel like posting anything in the “media” section. No pressure of course, this place is your home, make it a perfect place for you❤️