• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hellwin Amp

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
Anyone know where I can find a Hellwin Amp head, or know anyone that might want to sell one? I think they were discontinued a couple of years ago, and I can’t find a used one anywhere.
Syn, if you’re reading, please get Schecter to make these again!
There is one on ebay right now for 2500.00 and thats not a typo..twenty five hundred dollars and thats just the amp no cabinet...i love syns sound but i think im going with a line 6 amp they are great too..or i may wait and see what syn comes up with next

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    There is one on ebay right now for 2500.00 and thats not a typo..twenty five hundred dollars and thats just the amp no cabinet...i love syns sound but i think im going with a line 6 amp they are great too..or i may wait and see what syn comes up with next

Syn has gone full Fractal now, with the AxeFXIII. He has a cab pack of his personal collection of speaker cabinets (from 1x to 4x12s) and I can vouch for their awesomeness. I tried a lot of the stock cabs, and bought several packs as well (including a nice Misha Mansoor pack or two) and Syn's Iso Cab from the full selection of his (before he broke them out into smaller groups) is my go to for almost everything. His cab IRs are the best I've found. I did a livestream demo of them and a follow up. Syn came in and chatted (textually) for it, as well.

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Syn has gone full Fractal now, with the AxeFXIII. He has a cab pack of his personal collection of speaker cabinets (from 1x to 4x12s) and I can vouch for their awesomeness. I tried a lot of the stock cabs, and bought several packs as well (including a nice Misha Mansoor pack or two) and Syn's Iso Cab from the full selection of his (before he broke them out into smaller groups) is my go to for almost everything. His cab IRs are the best I've found. I did a livestream demo of them and a follow up. Syn came in and chatted (textually) for it, as well.

I read what syn said..im going to look into those..what is the price range on those amps

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.

Got it...looked it up..as im not a professional guitar player i will be using line 6 and maybe move up later thank you for your reply

Nick Kay

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to get an actual tube amp and I'd love to get a 100 watt Hellwin if I can find one.
    I've been using amp sims for years and they are great for demos but I'm not really happy with the plug-ins I have when it comes to composing something I'm going to actually release to the world.

YES I know Fractal's are awesome, the AXE FX3 is sick, it's also on my wish-list, but I really would like to own at least _one_ tube amp with an actual cabinet that I can mic and learn about recording with.

Does anyone have a good resource for the different model Hellwin amps that were produced and the differences between them, and which one(s) specifically I should be looking for?
    One on reverb sold recently for around 500 bucks, not bad, but it says it was made in China.

TBH I really don't think it would matter where it was made (to me anyway?) I can't really see there being that much of a difference in sound unless they were using completely different components inside compared to the American version...but either way, if ANYONE OUT THERE has a good link or info about model numbers, which is the best to get, etc, I'd love to see it.

I tried Googling about this and came up empty.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If a Hellwin sold for $500 it either didn't work or was a knockoff. Others are far more knowledgeable, but I don't think there was more than one Hellwin model - it was or it wasn't, and they've been discontinued, so when you find one, they're pricey.

I'm sure Syn and Papa have a bunker full of 'em, but I'm also sure they ain't getting rid of them, so hunt and wait, and expect to pay in the neighborhood of $2k US, if memory serves.

For 90% of what a Hellwin is, you could get a 5150 Mk III, which is the architecture the Hellwin was modeled off of. Additionally, there are a lot of great real tube amps in many price ranges. There are a LOT of tube amp options that aren't discontinued, and new lunchbox tube amps pack a LOT of amazing features. I just got a PRS MT-15 which sounds killer and is louder than hell, and it's $650 brand new.

• Love
    Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to get an actual tube amp and I'd love to get a 100 watt Hellwin if I can find one.
    I've been using amp sims for years and they are great for demos but I'm not really happy with the plug-ins I have when it comes to composing something I'm going to actually release to the world.

YES I know Fractal's are awesome, the AXE FX3 is sick, it's also on my wish-list, but I really would like to own at least _one_ tube amp with an actual cabinet that I can mic and learn about recording with.

Does anyone have a good resource for the different model Hellwin amps that were produced and the differences between them, and which one(s) specifically I should be looking for?
    One on reverb sold recently for around 500 bucks, not bad, but it says it was made in China.

TBH I really don't think it would matter where it was made (to me anyway?) I can't really see there being that much of a difference in sound unless they were using completely different components inside compared to the American version...but either way, if ANYONE OUT THERE has a good link or info about model numbers, which is the best to get, etc, I'd love to see it.

I tried Googling about this and came up empty.
    Id like to build off what Ed said about other brand of tube amps. There are SO many good brands out there that can still get you the sound you’re looking for. Myself, i have a Vox Ac30c2, and honestly im surprised of the metal tones i can get out of it (with the right pedals of course.) but as Ed said, the 5150 (by peavey i believe?) , marshall has some great affordable tube amps, mesa, there are so many amps out there man. Or you could invest in a Fractal AxeFx and open up to a multitude of different ranges as well as Syn’s cab packs!

Speaking from personal experience, I’ve got a Hellwin head sitting in storage at the moment awaiting repair (the processor that controls channel switching, and midi integration fried and I’ve been unable to get a replacement from Schecter, at least last time I checked around a year ago). I might ask my old man to reprogram one if I get a minute haha.
    It’s an awesome amp butttt, it’s rated at 100w which is an insane level of power, even at gigs where you’re gonna be mic’d up and running into a PA. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beast in a studio recording situation, and I imagine it’s a real treat to work with if you’ve got an ISO cab.
    I’ve found that, like Ed said, a 5150 is an awesome alternative or the ‘5153’ preset adjusted with ones choice of cab block on the Axe FX 3 sorts it!

I hope this helps! 🤘

Reactions: Ed Seith