• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help! My guitar keeps slipping out of tune!

aleister77793

One Stringer
Jul 22, 2020
So i just got a new Schecter Omen Elite 6 for Christmas, and i tried tuning to D# to learn some Alice in Chains songs and ill get each string to perfect tune then about 30 seconds later if i play the string again its out of tune like almost a half step... i have a floyd rose and its still slipping out of tune even with the tuning nuts. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? Is this something i can fix on my own or should i take it to Guitar Center to have it checked out?

Ian _Invader

Music Theory Bragger
  • Feb 5, 2021
    Schoolcraft Michigan
    You might want to keep stretching the strings or make sure the string retainer bar on the headstock is screwed down far enough. If that doesn't work, try and spray the nut and bridge with WD-40. Check the action and intonation as well. Actually you know what, just do a normal setup for your guitar that might help :) Another thing I do on my Synyster Custom is setting the fine tuners half way down so I can tune sharp or flat depending on the string after its locked into place.

Reactions: Skulleton
    Upvote 0

aleister77793

One Stringer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Is this the string retainer? And how does one stretch strings? Can you do it while their already put in the guitar or do you do it before you put them on? Forgive my naivety, i just only recently started to educate myself on guitar tech lol

Attachments

• 20220108_005148.jpg
      20220108_005148.jpg
      254.9 KB · Views: 129
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This is on the long side, but I just recently did a stream on the site about the Floyd Rose, how it works, how to tune up with it, and how to change strings. It WILL help you with your questions.

Ryan Vega

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Florida
    nearlyspent.bandzoogle.com
    if the bridge is not flush it will keep going out of tune, you most likely have to much string tension or not enough. the floyd rose has springs in the back and you have to adjust them if you are changing your strings or tuning till the bridge is flush with the body of the guitar again. It's a skill that's definitely worth learning all you need is a screwdriver and like 15 minutes, but also a pain in the ass/frustrating to learn at first especially if you're gonna do it online I personally struggled with this for a long time till someone I met showed me the way in like 30 minutes. has saved me a lot of money and time waiting for some guy to finish with my guitar on his time over the past couple years.

Reactions: Riff36
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ian _Invader

Music Theory Bragger
  • Feb 5, 2021
    Schoolcraft Michigan
    Is this the string retainer? And how does one stretch strings? Can you do it while their already put in the guitar or do you do it before you put them on? Forgive my naivety, i just only recently started to educate myself on guitar tech lol
    Yes. Screw it down so that the strings are flat on the nut so that when you lock them they dont go sharp :)

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Anyone having issues with the school lesson video.,? I can’t seems to see the videos tutorials.
    It looks like you're in Singapore. A lot of the Asian countries have blocked Soundslice for licensing reasons, and Soundslice is the host of our lesson video, so you'll need to access the site through a VPN to see Papa Gates in all his glory.

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Wonder how do i do the VPN stuff man.
    Google vpn sites. Just be aware that technically you are lying about your location so if the company sees a VPN address these days they get fried instantly. You may need more then one for that reason. I used to use.vpns for Netflix but once they caught on it stopped working for example.

Upvote 0

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Google vpn sites. Just be aware that technically you are lying about your location so if the company sees a VPN address these days they get fried instantly. You may need more then one for that reason. I used to use.vpns for Netflix but once they caught on it stopped working for example.
    But i can watch the lesson thru here right. Just that i need to lie on my country VPN..

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Aceluek

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 23, 2019
    Corona, California
    www.youtube.com
    So i just got a new Schecter Omen Elite 6 for Christmas, and i tried tuning to D# to learn some Alice in Chains songs and ill get each string to perfect tune then about 30 seconds later if i play the string again its out of tune like almost a half step... i have a floyd rose and its still slipping out of tune even with the tuning nuts. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? Is this something i can fix on my own or should i take it to Guitar Center to have it checked out?
    Considering it it has a locking nut, it is most likely to related to the pivot points on Floyd. Check to see if the blade edges on the plate are sharp and not damaged. Then check the studs screwed into the guitar to see if the pivot point is damaged. Make sure to never adjust the height of the Floyd under tension, it will damage the pivot points and cause the Floyd to not rest at the same place each time. As far as strings, I always take new ones and pull up on them pretty good after I install them. I have multiple guitars (ESP, EVH, Fender, GMW) with Floyd’s and all of them stay in tune,

Upvote 0

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Should do String stretching 1st at 3 point 1st… as its a new string. Out of tune for new string is normal. Just need a few more tuning with fr fine tuner shud be fine. Tips - when string stretching try gentle press down back of the nut and strech from 12fret, 5th fret and 3rd fret atleast 3 times and tune again before u lock ur locking nut. Lastly fine tune as u using FR. ☺️🤘🙌🙌🙌

Upvote 0