• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help!!!!! One string has hella buzz !! 😭

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Okay guys,

Inserting a video so you can hear what I’m talking about.
    This is a brand new schecter hellraiser. My hubs @ashleywillis put some 12-56 Ernie ball strings on it. We have adjusted the truss rod as well as the bridge and this ONE freaking string is still wonky !

And when I say he adjusts, the man fine tunes the adjustments with measurements and everything(he isn’t half assing anything) lol.

What could be the issue ?

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Could be the action still needs some adjustments, the intonation or the slots in the nut need widened slightly with a file so it sits in there properly. I read about that when i changed my V over to the same gauge, And i had the same problem but adjusting my action and intonation fixed it. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    years back i got something like that on 19 fret 1st string, when I set my bridge higher it went away.
    I got in touch with a luthier, and he fix it, he filed the fret and he fixed it, cost me like 11€.
    you may have to get in touch with a guitar repair tech.

Nowdays most guitars come with stainless steel frets, which prevent fret wear and prolong the life of the frets

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If the guitar did not do that before and the frets are LEVEL. it CAN BE THE NUT. Especially if the action is correct, the bridge isn't too low and the neck is properly adjusted whether or NOT if it is a FRETTED NOTE

Sorry, no. If the string is fretting a note and buzzing, it cannot be a nut problem. There could certainly ALSO be a nut problem, but that's not the problem causing fretted notes to buzz. Ever.

Once you fret a note, the nut is no longer involved, except where tuning stability is an issue. It can be the neck bow, the bridge height, saddle height or a fret problem, and only one or a combination of those things.

You could remove the nut entirely on a properly set-up guitar and still play anything above the 1st fret.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Sorry, no. If the string is fretting a note and buzzing, it cannot be a nut problem. There could certainly ALSO be a nut problem, but that's not the problem causing fretted notes to buzz. Ever.

Once you fret a note, the nut is no longer involved, except where tuning stability is an issue. It can be the neck bow, the bridge height, saddle height or a fret problem, and only one or a combination of those things.

You could remove the nut entirely on a properly set-up guitar and still play anything above the 1st fret.
    Thanks Ed ! I was coming to here to say you were saving the day as per usual! But you’re already on it !

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Out of curiosity, how much space is there between the string and the frets? How much space is there between the string and the pickups? I might lol a little if you lowered the bridge and unintentionally brought the string in contact with one of the pickups or plastic pickup rings.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So, how's it going? I know from personal experience that it can be big stress to have difficulty with a new guitar, or any guitar, so I hope you've had some good luck with this.
    Hey ! We have it sorted now. Saddle needed a minor adjustment as well as a few other things. We went up to a thicker string so that was a big issue with the saddle. The string wasn’t fitting properly and then had to do some truss rod adjustments.
    I say “we” but it was the husband 😂 I can’t do any of that stuff so he does it all.

• Haha
    Reactions: carlosmqr