• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help wanted - Tips on Singing and Playing

Samuel Desjardins

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
montreal, canada
I was wondering if anyone had any exercices or tips to help me with Singing and playing at the same time. I have gotten better in this area as of late but my progress is still slow and very erratic. To give you an idea, I've recently just accomplished playing Twist and Shout and singing the back up vocals. However at the moment, backup vocals over simple chord progressions and strumming patterns is all I can handle.

I've attempted the A7X cover of As tears go By and failed miserably. I've also attempted Holiday by green day and failed again. These are two simple songs in terms of strumming patterns and chord changes yet I can't simultaneously keep the correct rythm in my voice and on my guitar. It seems I'm either signing the right way with the right rythm and strumming all out of wack, changing chords at the wrong time or I'm playing the guitar perfect and singing all out of wack.

Any tips, beginner song suggestions or excercices would be greatly appreciated!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For me it all comes to how comfortable I am with a guitar part. If I can play it without looking at my fretboard I can sing perfectly fine while playing. If not it's a mess. Also knowing the lyrics by heart is incredibly important

Reactions: AGA

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
i think i'll disagree with u guys, im comfortable with many guitar parts but can't even sing while playing that parts, so maybe every person its different but try to practice bot things at slow tempos with metronome, that's how i handled the lead part from the chorus of beast and the harlot haha

This is a breakdown of the method I use:
1) Learn the parts separately, don't worry about putting them together until you know them really well and you don't have to think too hard about either.
2) Once you know the rhythm of the guitar and vocal melody separately, work on putting them together phrase by phrase, slowly. And I mean SLOOOOOOWLY. Use a metronome.
3) Break everything down to syllables. The most important part is to recognize which syllables coincide with which chords, and note the length the chords and the silences. If you do this you will always know when to change chords. And even if you make a mistake you will be able to recover by signing the right word to the right chord.
4) Repetition, repetition, repetition!

Other useful tips:
-Pick only one song at first, quality over quantity.
-Good pitch and accurate rhythm rule here, as you get better you can get fancier, but for now only worry about those two.

Hope this helps!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Before you try to play and sing at the same time, try to nail the strumming first bro. Try to strum w a metronome and feel comfortable with it. Like you have to feel that you master your strumming first. When you do, it is simple, you just need to add the vocals. Try to master the strum. As tears go by is a good idea. Play over the song until you feel good. Then go adding some vocal lines. An then, is just you know going adding to make yourself feel comfortable. Good work!

J

Jak Angelescu

I personally approach this is you the way A drummer even begins to practice their instrument. You essentially have multiple things going on at once. A drummer will focus in the beginning on just counting with the Hi hat. Then they slowly add in the kick drum once they get comfortable counting where their beats are supposed to be. Then they add the snare. Essentially what you need to do is think of the guitar like your Hi hat. You need to hear where the kick drum and the snare would be AKA your vocals. Vocals come in on different beats and each Melody has a rhythmic feel to it that coincides with the guitar. For example if you know that you are doing just eighth notes drums but your Melody starts on the downbeat of the third count, that can help you hear it and count it in your head. It is definitely not something that is easy and I struggle doing it as well. But ultimately think of it like a drummer. If they can do all the things that they can do you can sing and play guitar at the same time. They fumble and they mess up for years before they finally get it right. Just work hard at it and practice at it everyday

• Love
    Reactions: Autumn