• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help with tuning a Floyd Rose(Original)

Max Allen

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I just bought a ESP LTD 1001FR, its my first guitar with a floating bridge and I have done a lot of research into how to change string gauge or tuning. But as far as normal tuning up, Ive tried some methods but most have been without any luck. I can balance the bridge with adjusting the tension bar in order to change what thickness of string gauge you are using, but I am stuck on tuning it back up after an adjustment. What techniques do some people use in order to tune their Floyd Rose?

G

I don’t own any guitars with a floating bridge, but I saw a video on youtube explaining how to adjust the tuning. Here’s the link.

Uncle Ben is super funny and explains in great detail on how to tune a guitar with a floating bridge.
Hope this helps.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Here are my tips for setting up a Floyd Rose System:
-Assuming everything is set up perfectly, I tune the strings in this order 6th, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 3rd and finally 4th. I find I don’t need to fine tune much beyond that one sequence.
-Intonation is important, the open strings as well as the 12th fret of each respective string should be in perfect pitch.
-Do not over-tighten any piece that requires a hex key/bit(allen key)
-Try to get the action(string height) as close to the fret-board as possible without causing “fret buzz.”
-If your bridge height is good and you still have “fret buzz” you may need to adjust the truss-rod.(Luckily I don’t think this is very common)
Those are pretty much the most important tips I can give you, although there are probably a few things I’m forgetting. Ask if you have any other questions!