• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hey from the UK! Give me your motivation ideas!

GretschGod

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Jun 1, 2021
Hey,

My name‘s Ivan. I’m hitting the big 30 this year… scary stuff. I’ve hit a massive dip in my enjoyment of playing guitar over the past 4-5 years. I’m hoping actively learning again using resources like this site will help to give me that enjoyment back!

I play in a couple of bands, but gigging feels like more of a chore post lockdown!

How do you guys and gals stay motivated?

I occasionally throw some vids up here for anyone that is interested. https://youtube.com/c/IvanThomasWilliams

Attachments

• 82E0AC86-E282-44C5-A497-60B62CB825FB.jpeg
    82E0AC86-E282-44C5-A497-60B62CB825FB.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Alicia Willis

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    Hey,

My name‘s Ivan. I’m hitting the big 30 this year… scary stuff. I’ve hit a massive dip in my enjoyment of playing guitar over the past 4-5 years. I’m hoping actively learning again using resources like this site will help to give me that enjoyment back!

I play in a couple of bands, but gigging feels like more of a chore post lockdown!

How do you guys and gals stay motivated?

I occasionally throw some vids up here for anyone that is interested. https://youtube.com/c/IvanThomasWilliams
    I stay motivated by finding interest and inspiration into what I see my favorite guitarists doing (Slash, Syn, Jimi Hendrix, Kfir Ochaion, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, etc list goes on and on). Here are my two favorite live guitar improvisations. I find that finding/watching these gives me a desire to keep learning.

(Absolute Best Slash Blues Solo)

(Bonner Springs Warmness on the Soul)

These are just my favorite, but find you're own inspiration.

• Love
    Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hi Ivan, welcome!
    Maybe mixing things up more or differently may help bring more joy :D

I don't know what keeps me motivated.
    I've never gigged before but I could imagine how it could feel like a chore at times.

DjangoX

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend+
    Mar 30, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I'm at a place in my playing where I've realised that I've PLAYED guitar for 2 years but only probably PRACTICED guitar for less than 3/4 months. I hate it and it's frustrating me that I can't do the things I want to do.

That's what you need to ask yourself. What is it you want to do, that maybe you can't do or do well? What's frustrating you about it? Do you want bigger gigs? Different music genres you can't play confidently yet?

I've set myself a few goals this past week that are realistic. I need a practice routine. I need to see my progress. I need to focus on my playing that will one day make me sit back and be proud of what I've achieved.

Little existential crisis never hurt anyone... much 🤔

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey man, I'm In the UK too! I'm edging to the steeper half of my 20s aswell so I feel your fear 😂 Older and wiser eh?

In terms of regaining motivation it's definitely a tricky one, as it usually comes from burnout/losing that sense of curiousity that keeps you working towards your goals and having it not feel like work.

Also as someone who's also in a band, I can completely understand the level of burnout that can happen as a result of constant gigging and 'band chores' 😬 It can make even the most chilled folk quite grumpy.

Things that always help me get back to a good state of mind are to watch videos of players/bands that I admire, live gig videos etc - Things like that usually remind me why I play, and just let things naturally build from there.

If you're motivation has dipped you can't really force it to come back, it's best to let the spark hit you again naturally and that way it won't feel like another thing you have to make yourself do 👌

Hope this helps!

Reactions: TrentNWM
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'll be 52 this summer, and I've been playing off and on since I'm about 14 or 15 (My memory on this is not trustworthy).

Your desire to play ebbs and flows over the years. Sometimes you have the fire, sometimes you "make time" for some basic practice or jamming, and other times you may takes WEEKS off without playing.

I think Syn probably took most of the pandemic time off from playing metal/electric guitar. He enjoyed his gypsy jazz, but probably not like when he's feeling ferocious about guitar.

PG has said recently that he hadn't even TOUCHED a guitar in six months. With his age, liquor cabinet and associated memory issues, it's entirely possible it's really been closer to a year :)

Reactions: TrentNWM