• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drums Hi-Hat starting position Closed or Open?

Solution
The top cymbal of the hi hat is attached to a rod, and when you press the pedal the chain pulls down that rod and therefore the top cymbal.

The bottom cymbal stays in place, all you do when pressing the pedal is basically pulling the top cymbal down.

When your foot isn't on the pedal, the top cymbal is high and the hi hat is open. When you press down, the hi hat goes against the bottom cymbal and it's closed.

Btw what hi hat stand do you have?

ZebbyMcNutty

One Stringer
Jan 21, 2022
The top cymbal of the hi hat is attached to a rod, and when you press the pedal the chain pulls down that rod and therefore the top cymbal.

The bottom cymbal stays in place, all you do when pressing the pedal is basically pulling the top cymbal down.

When your foot isn't on the pedal, the top cymbal is high and the hi hat is open. When you press down, the hi hat goes against the bottom cymbal and it's closed.

Upvote 0
Solution

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019

Like the one you described, it has a chain for the pulling, sorry it's not mine and don't have it at home.

Was thinking it could be wrong cause sometimes I see drummers with double bass and don't understand how they use the Hi-Hat cause it seems to be closed all the time when I'm looking.

Note: I don't have a double bass pedal
    Thanks <3

Reactions: ZebbyMcNutty
    Upvote 0

ZebbyMcNutty

One Stringer
    Jan 21, 2022
    It's possible that some double bass players set it up in a pretty closed starting position, so that they don't necessarily need to put their foot on there.

Some people also put their left foot more horizontally, so that they play the bass drum pedal with their heel and the hi hat with the front of the foot for example.
    They can also just switch the position of their foot really quickly (for example Matt garstka of animals as leaders).

I have a double bass pedal but suck at it, so I may be wrong in this, but depending on the genre people most definitely set up the pedal differently. Good question though!

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Shawn Lennie

Free Bird Player
    Dec 12, 2021
    It's possible that some double bass players set it up in a pretty closed starting position, so that they don't necessarily need to put their foot on there.

Some people also put their left foot more horizontally, so that they play the bass drum pedal with their heel and the hi hat with the front of the foot for example.
    They can also just switch the position of their foot really quickly (for example Matt garstka of animals as leaders).

I have a double bass pedal but suck at it, so I may be wrong in this, but depending on the genre people most definitely set up the pedal differently. Good question though!
    Yep pretty much nailed it! A lot of double bass players will have their hi-hat set up in a closed position and never touch it. There are also things called a "drop clutch" which allows you to flick a little lever on and off at the top cymbal to change the resting position from open to close

Upvote 0

ZebbyMcNutty

One Stringer
    Jan 21, 2022
    Yep pretty much nailed it! A lot of double bass players will have their hi-hat set up in a closed position and never touch it. There are also things called a "drop clutch" which allows you to flick a little lever on and off at the top cymbal to change the resting position from open to close
    I've never heard of a drop clutch, that's interesting! Hardware in drums really has gone forward a whole lot, even though the clutch might exist for a while idk but drum tech keeps impressing me

Upvote 0