• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

High E String Constantly breaking.

The Trash God

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    So I have had this problem for a while. My high e string has just been breaking constantly so I have kept having to replace it. I have seen people say it is because of cheap strings, but I use Ernie Ball strings for my guitar and I know they are a good string brand, so I dont think it is that. I am just curious as to other reasons why this could be occurring as I keep having to buy new strings and keep having to change them, and after a while the cost tends to add up after a while. I was just curious as what I could do to help prevent this happening so much. Thank you in advance!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    So I have had this problem for a while. My high e string has just been breaking constantly so I have kept having to replace it. I have seen people say it is because of cheap strings, but I use Ernie Ball strings for my guitar and I know they are a good string brand, so I dont think it is that. I am just curious as to other reasons why this could be occurring as I keep having to buy new strings and keep having to change them, and after a while the cost tends to add up after a while. I was just curious as what I could do to help prevent this happening so much. Thank you in advance!
    I had this happen before, I think the issue was there was a sharp piece of metal or something sharp somewhere on the hardware that was causing it to snap. I took it to get looked at by a professional and he fixed it

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Well no I don't think it's about the strings being cheap. First of all, I am curious about the string gauge you use! 10-46 i assume?

With that being said, I think it might be maybe something in your nut the keeps cutting the strings. It's crazy to say but even the smallest chip or surface that isn't polished properly on your nut could potentially cut in your strings without you even knowing. Might also be something in your bridge... weird question but have you noticed your high e strings constantly breaking at the same spot?

My direct advice would be to go to a luthier and explain specifically your problem. Maybe he could identify something else.

The Trash God

• Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    Well no I don't think it's about the strings being cheap. First of all, I am curious about the string gauge you use! 10-46 i assume?

With that being said, I think it might be maybe something in your nut the keeps cutting the strings. It's crazy to say but even the smallest chip or surface that isn't polished properly on your nut could potentially cut in your strings without you even knowing. Might also be something in your bridge... weird question but have you noticed your high e strings constantly breaking at the same spot?

My direct advice would be to go to a luthier and explain specifically your problem. Maybe he could identify something else.
    The string gauge I use is actually 9-42, so maybe that could be contributing to the problem. I didn't even think to check the nut or bridge. I didn't see any problems on the bridge, I'll have to check the nut. As for string breakage, I do notice it breaking frequently like on the fretboard, near the nut specifically actually.

The Trash God

• Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    If it's breaking in the same place every time, that's where you look. If it breaks at the nut, the nut needs a tiny file (probably from a tech). If it's happening at the bridge, same thing. If it's happening in the middle, it's your picking :cool: .
    Ah ok, so I'll have to look at the nut then, as that is where the breakage always seems to happen. Have to look into that then. Thanks for the help!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The string gauge I use is actually 9-42, so maybe that could be contributing to the problem. I didn't even think to check the nut or bridge. I didn't see any problems on the bridge, I'll have to check the nut. As for string breakage, I do notice it breaking frequently like on the fretboard, near the nut specifically actually.
    Let us know if you need any further help!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    String gauge isn't an issue.

A lot of the classic shredders actually uses gauge 9 strings like Paul Gilbert(crazy picking fella), Steve Vai(bends and whammies), and many more. Yngwie uses gauge 8 hahahaha.

So it's probably your guitar hardware.

Get it checked, it won't hurt!

Yakun

Garage band Groupie
    May 3, 2021
    Bat Country
    There are many factors that can be the cause of this. One being corrosion whether it is from sweat, humidity, etc. Another possibility can be the saddles on the bridge. Be sure to have a reliable bridge with reliable saddles as it can make a big difference. I know there are saddles out there designed to prevent string breakage and people literally have the same strings for a very long time. If there is such, I think there'd also be saddles that do the complete opposite. There are probably other reasons too which I can't think of, but hope it helps.

(I saw that you have probably already found the solution but I hope this message at least helps in the future)

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    Where’s it breaking? Is it at the nut? I had the same problem for a while on my SG and I sanded out the groove a little bit and haven’t had any problems sense. I know the frustration though! Nothing worse than putting on a brand new set of strings and having one break right away.

Synner Endless Summer Collection