• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Home studio Recording quick Review – Behringer XM8500

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hello Everyone!
How are you doing ?
I would always record my stuff plugging my guitar directly into my Scarlett solo interface. But I don’t know, I always liked real amps sounds better.
And I just got a new amp, so I want yo record with its valve quality.
However, I did not have a mic yet – so I had to plug the guitar directly.
And by any means I am a professional, or do understand 100% about home recording. I am just trying to give some tips and show what I do experience in my day to day experiences with my gear haha.
Because I know that a lot of people may be a little lost in this subject… including me, FOR SURE haha.
So, this is my opinion:
Today I just got a new dynamic mic for my home studio – and it is a behringer XM8500.
I have read in multiple websites that the Shure SM57 or sm58 were the best for home recording, But they cost at least 90 dollars- and here in Brazil it can cost something like 120 dollars (expensive for me).
So I gave this Behringer mic a shot, because a lot of reviews compared it to the Shure models.
The main different it is that the Behringer gives you more mid sounds. And the Shure it more bass – I think.
And the best part – it costs something like 20 dollars – and here in Brazil 50 dollars.
So far I like the mic! I am getting a lot of good quality guitar recordings.
It can be a very good alternative for your home studio. I am very pleased.
Product Sound: good quality, more mid sounds (you can mix it on the software later).
Product Quality: it is very robust! I am amazed by the quality. I have always head people saying that Behringer products were not robust – but I am very pleased with this one.
Price: a bargain!
Product package: a cool robust plastic box and a mic support.
I hope this can help in case someone it is searching for new mics for home recording.
I am just a beginner, but fascinated by guitar and audio production.
Here are some photos of me using the mic:

Take care guys !!!
G.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
That’s very nice to hear!
Personally I’m planning to buy a Yamaha THR10 because I really need to upgrade my amp and need an amp that works well at low volumes besides that it has the option to plug it into your computer by USB enabling the option to record yourself with it.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I’m pretty sure that that’s a vocal mic but if the recording sounds great to then that’s great. Honestly 100€ for a mic isn’t alot, I understand that if you don’t have money even 5€ is a lot but if you compare the price with other microphones, 100€ is nothing. Shure sm57 is a go to mic for recording electric guitars or a snare because it has a peak on 5kHZ and it gives your guitar that presence. Audix i5 is the same as sm57, they even call it a sm57 killer because people started replacing sm57 with audix i5. But it’s just a personal preference. Every studio in the world has a sm57 because that mic will last you forever and milions of records used that mic on a snare and electric guitar.

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah. It is a vocal mic!
But the quality for recording your amp is good too. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube reviews and the sound pleased me.
That’s why I decided to give it a shot.
Filip:
For sure there are some more expensive mics- no doubts about that. And better ones as well.
I currently bought a new valve amp, my pedals and a audio interface.
And I am saving to buy a fender tele American.
That is why I decided to save a little on the mic haha.
But I think that is a good alternative for someone who it is starting, or has a low budget.
I did not know about that audix though. You say it is a good one ?
Thanks for replying dude !!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I understand, that’s completely fine. The important thing is you are starting to get involved with recording and any mic will do but if ever decide to get more serious about it and want a high quality recording definetely get shure sm57. Yes audix i5 is also great, both mics have a similar frequency response so it’s just a matter of personal taste.

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
For sure, mate ! If I decide to get serious I will get one for myself, no doubt.
And thanks for the help.
I believe that this forum post will help some people out eventually.
Because for me it is the best way to learn about something.
G.

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
No problem, also check this link out about positioning the mic https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/importance-mic-placement-guitar-amps/
I haven’t read it but after a quick scroll I saw that there are some useful tips. Also check out the frequency responses of your mic and behringer to get a visual representstion of what’s different about them. (I can’t post the pictures cause I’m on a phone)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Dude if you need any advice or help with equipemen, you can DM me. Im graduating in sound engineering and would be more than happy to help this community with recording or mixing or whatever i know how to do! What you are doing is a great start but you will get tired of it very fast as your ears sharpen! Anyhow, now that you have a mic, to capture the best possible sound, you want to put your amp in a space sound proofed or at least that is treated!

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks a lot Radu – cristian !
    That is really good to know. I will improve my gear slowly as a learn more things about it.
    I am really amped to start recording some good stuff for you guys!
    I hope i can learn a lot with you!
    Thanks again everyone. It is nice to have your tips
    G.