• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

HOMEWORK: Lesson 11

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Rowan that makes sense sounds like you are thinking too much rather then flow with the beat or rhythm. I have this same issue. Maybe try it without him? But with the clicker only. My help you focus more on the areas you lose your place.
I used to play along with songs and whatnot constantly.. my timing was always hidden so I never realized how off I was til I was alone.

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Thank you, Calvin! Probably! I think all the time and too much, so it does make sense to me. I’ll try it without him and see how it goes. Is there a way I can only get the clicker???
    One of the best things I have is rhythm and timing, especially with songs. It’s one of my strengths. I did go back to the video and kind of just to look to see if I could spot anything that might have given me trouble and I noticed the cursor on the video is a teeny bit off and I am overthinking. So, I might go back and just try on my own without the cursor and write the rhythms down myself. What I find really helps and I learned in chorus, is clapping the rhythm out loud to myself first.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I got in the stream and there was lots of people there but just Rowan and hector. I saw ailee hop on. I never had a real chance to do the homework but I kind of want to see everyone else do it. I’ve progressed so much myself and it’s fun to show off but I wanna help you guys too. Plus I just woke up from a 4 hour nap.
    But before last week we had like.. 10 videos. Maybe the others had no time this week. Thank goodness the lessons all relate here so you’ll not miss the main point of the pattern personally I’ve never sat down and looked at my write but I feel my strumming at times is great.. then subpar lol
    Next week I may not be able to make it. However i can help promote it. How about a facebook or Instagram add? It’s like 5 or 10 dollars. Something to not just say we go live. But give them the Info to post the riff so they have the privilege to go live. And you gotta motivate them. So here’s me idea..
    We gotta show off in some like.. 1 to 2 minute video. So let’s put one together. Jak was learning to mix herself. I have a decent program that mixes too. Let’s get some ideas together to get more people not just here involved. But others. There was a thousand likes on hector’s post to go live. But I dont think that many showed.jak did a great job trying to encourage others and motivate them. We gotta do the same now. Gonna be hard work.
    Hector you’re riff is so aggressive I fucking love it. Like the a great punk breakdown to end a song. Headbanging the entire time.

You have great ideas Calvin. It is true we need to promote it better and encourage people, we just gotta figure out the best way to do it. I also want to highlight that we should do this as a group, I don’t want any particular individual to take on way too much work, otherwise they could burn out and it won’t be sustainable.
    Before anyone spends money on facebook, how about (and I’m just throwing it out there) we create an “unofficial” SGS instagram account. One that a few of us have access to, that way the livestream can always happen there, but be hosted by different people. We can give shoutouts on the account, use/create our own hashtags to share, upload compilation videos of people playing etc. I want us to start small and do well before we try to expand. What do you guys think?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    We had a Facebook account and the problem we have is people forget to post here. I mean.. if we do it again we gotta link people to our video page here rather then upload one here and there.. if you get what I mean.
    We wanna make sure they come here to learn rather then stick to the Instagram page.. im totally down for it tho. Be a great way to not just promote the page.. but also our own personally music.

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Aileé, sorry for the late reply. I absolutely love all the brilliant ideas you and Calvin have been coming up with lately. It would be stupendous to have a sort of round-Robbin going on. Also, with the one account, people wouldn’t have to worry if they follow the right account or not. It can be hard to promote on Instagram sometimes unless you pay money or like everyone reposts it.
    I was honestly very sad and disappointed to see that I had at least over seven people in the room, but only three really came forward. That was Hector, Aileé, and David. So special shout-out to the three of you. I think we’ve really got to get some people to go live and show off their homework…because I kept asking,”Does anyone want to go live that did their homework?” While I’m extremely proud of the three of you and myself for showing off almost every week, I don’t want to just see the same people coming forward. I know the three of you do an extremely wonderful job and are studious. It’s just sad to me that no one seems to be taking this seriously to their advantage. You guys that have work and are super busy on the weekend, I understand, don’t worry. Hopefully if we have the one account we can stream different days, as well. Maybe sometimes Wednesdays and sometimes Saturdays or Sundays. I don’t know, I’m just trying to contribute and throw some ideas out there. We are a family, in my eyes.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    @calvin I see your point. My idea was never to post lessons on there, because as you say, the point is coming here. It was rather to give an incentive to people. I noticed how Jak gave shout outs on her Insta, and wondered if that contributed to people wanting to join in. Also, doing the livestream on the same place makes it easier.
    @rowan Thanks, we are for sure a guitar family. Don’t be sad, it takes time and I’m sure no one had bad intentions or a lack of interest in showing up. It could be one of many reasons as of why they didn’t or couldn’t, Rome wasn’t built in one day.
    I don’t want anyone to pay to promote, it is not our job to do that. We should just focus on creating community, which is starting to happen. It is a slow process, we need patience. At the end of the day, we can’t MAKE anyone care, it has to come from them genuinely or it won’t last. The best thing we can do is keep using the site to get better, help one another and keep creating community, that way people will have a genuine desire to join.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    It’s not the lessons. It’s the newer people who join in. We had the site down for a month or 2 due to spam and bots and when we came back everyone just got too used to posting there. I’m sure that trend wouldnt start if we didnt start it since we won’t have the site down. But it was just had timing because it was a neat place to advertise to others about your original material.