• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Honesty.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hi Billy !
    Let me just say I completely understand the fear ! I get nervous just trying to make a damn video let alone actually upload it. I have social anxiety and that does flow through to the virtual world as well. But let me tell you, I have NEVER had a negative comment. Constructive criticism? Of course, but nothing negating and no harsh words. This group of folks is amazing ! Don’t be afraid, we are all here to show love and support !

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    YOU DID IT!!
    See, Billy?
    Now you have a video out in the internet!
    Thanks for sharing that with us.
    We all know that it was hard for you, but we are happy that you uploaded it.
    Firstly, this backing-track is very nice, could you share it with us ? Have you done it by yourself ?
    Now your playing:
    I agree with Ed, you could slip some vibrato on your playing in order to give it more feeling.
    And I think that Practicing vibrato + scales separately could give you a lot more speed and feel.
    Because what I can see in the video is that you understand how to improvise, but sometimes mess up the tempo, or the feel of it.
    Dude, I assure you that you are good!
    Take a look at my videos, for example. I make mistakes! They are part or our learning.
    Keep practicing and ask for help
    If needed.
    I hope it helped you in some
    Sort of way.
    G.

Billy Robertson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I didn’t create the backing track I’m not good enough for that. I found it on YouTube. Here is the link https://youtu.be/wsCvG0VVQp4. It’s one of my favorites. As far as improv I can’t say how many times I have listen and played along with this track just to find a groove. I don’t always play it the same way but around about the same licks just different ways. The beginning riff I used was actually from acid rain just modified. Sometimes I use vibrato but when I get nervous I forget to. But if I have a hard time improving a fast backing track but I love to play the slower emotional style but I love to shred just haven’t figured out how to string riffs together.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    And I’m not sure if you’re aware, but this is in 3/4 (or 6/8) time. Where a lot of music is in 4/4 and you would count like this:
    ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four
    The 3/4 or 6/8 is counted like this:
    ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three or, if it’s mentally easier:
    ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six
    With the capitalized numbers being the accents. Make sense? That’s a nice, classic groove, too.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dude your improv was great. Everything came through pretty clean and your mistakes are disguised well. I make mistakes all the time. But you gotta push yourself to do things arent ready for. Like for me sweeping. It’s a working progress.
    Only suggestion is try to get your whole body in the frame. As ed said.. vibratos are fun as hell. So are hammer on and pull offs. There were times where I felt a hammer on would be a great filler in this improv. I look forward to hearing more.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Riku Lainpelto

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Finland
    I’d say, just DO IT! Eventually you get used to the camera. That was really hard for me to at the beginning. You can “practice” by recording every time you play. That’s actually a great thing to do even if you won’t publish it. That way you can keep track of your progress and watch for any mistakes you might make when you play! I wish I did that from the beginning..

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey Billy!
    Great job! We are all a “work in progress”. We are all on the same path. Some of us are further along than others. I think you’ll find the better guitar players here are very encouraging. So feel free to ask for help and feel free to help others and pass along your breakthroughs.
    Cheers!
    PG
    BTW – KILLER tone!!!

This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Brian Haner Sr..

Billy Robertson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the encouragement everybody. And PG as far as my tone goes I think it has to do with those custom invaders. As for my amp it’s a Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 36 ran into a 4×12 cab that i split into two direct channels. i think it has 16 ohm speakers that i wired up into two channels of 8 ohms that was i can run my amp to one side and my cousin can run his amp into the other side and share a cab when we jam without any crossover. If anyone wants i can get pics of my rig and pedalboard. The only pedal I was using was a noise gate. I also custom made my own channel/effects loops/and reverb selector.

This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Billy Robertson.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I’m a little bit late to the party 😅
    You did great! Loved the melodies you came up with! Just be a little mindful of your vibrato, that’s probably the only real feedback I have. Like papa Gates said your tone is great too! And I’m a firm believer that 70% of the tone is from the fingers so that’s great!
    Nice backingtrack too, the beginning kinda reminds me of Acid Rain!

This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Ids Schiere.