• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How Did You Get Into A7X? Did The Music Help You Cope Ever?

J

Jak Angelescu

I’ll admit, I’m a newer fan. I use to live out in Los Angeles from 2005-2010 and I remember seeing them on magazines at nearly every news stand I walked by. I looked at them and said, “Those guitarists have badass makeup!” 😂😂 But I didn’t know who they were. When I worked at a rehearsal studio in Hollywood, there were SOOOOO many bands that would gawk at me and say, “How do you not know who they are?” I was really into my 80’s revival thing about GNR, Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant, Def Leppard, Skid Row and bands like that, so I wasn’t really paying attention to newer bands. Also, I couldn’t afford a laptop or a tv so things like MTV videos were out of the question. I was just out of the loop.
Flash forward to 2014. I was in my car that has satellite radio (I moved on up, didn’t I?) and I saw the band Avenged Sevenfold came on with a song called Buried Alive. I immediately fell in love with the picking part. I hadn’t heard ANY band play something that fresh and innovative before. I heard it during a time when rock radio started to be plagued with overly synthetic, ridiculously produced and cliche songs. It was like a breath of fresh air. I also loved the moving bass line. However, all things really changed when I heard the simple drum beat, the “not-overly-produced-and-synthetic” sound of the song, and then when the singing came in, I said to myself “Oh my God. This is the first song I’ve heard in years where the singer doesn’t have a bajillion effects on his vocals, nor is he screaming and shouting everything.” I LOVED the melody. I turned to my singer and said, “Do you know who these guys are?” Because she was singing the song!!! Sure enough she said, “This is the band with the guitarists with the makeup you liked so much.”
I couldn’t believe how the song progressed into a single-kick, chord-chunking sound of headbanging glory. I started looking up all the other albums as much as I could.
Flash forward another year. My mom passed away suddenly and left me an inheritance. With the money I bought my ESP Horizon II guitar and my Schecter Diamond series Demon-6 guitar, every album of Avenged Sevenfold’s and my first tickets to their show. I had been suffering from my mom’s death and like many other fans, I found comfort in “So Far Away”. It was like they put into words and music what I couldn’t say I was feeling. When the song came on and I heard it for the first time, I had to pull over on the side of the highway and cry. It was when those AMAZING harmonies and backup vocals come in at the end. It was so what I needed to hear. It just…. ugh. I can’t describe it. Still to this day, if I’m having a bad day and I feel anxiety or tension coming on, I turn on the final part of “Exist” and listen to that blissful singing, wonderful melodies and music. “Higher” and “Exist” just have these melodies and music that is truly soothing, practically remedial, on a stressful day.
So there’s my story!! I’d love to hear how other people on here got into Avenged, when they realized Synyster Gates was a guitar hero of theirs, and if the band has helped them cope in any way shape or form.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I cant remember the year but I was 19 I think. Was the very first metalcore or screamo song I ever heard. Darkness Surroundings. Then I heard chapter 4 and unholy confessions and that pretty much sealed the deal. Completely changed the way I listened to music and pop was non existent from that point on to me.
From there it was 18 visions, from first to last.. the usual tops during the days. Funny how they are all still around too, 18 V just did a reunion tour and it was AMAZING.
BTW, I’ve seen Crue three times, and as much as I love Avenged, they aren’t to the Crue’s level yet of a good show. Especially the one they did with Alice Cooper. Amazing.
As to the coping part, Avenged never really was one of my coping bands. They were more one of my aggressive angry bands, but thats just 7th trumpet influences. I love that you can still hear the rawness of that album still in their music. I think it’s an element they will never fully let go of as much as people will probably say they “aren’t as heavy as they used to be.”

Joe Giumarello

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
New Jersey
www.tiktok.com
I’m younger, 18 to be exact. But basically I’ve played guitar since 7 and was never really that into it. Around 14 my guitar teacher had a heart attack and I’d figured I’d be done with guitar. But just before I figured I quit my friend showed me welcome to the family. I heard the guitar solo and just said WOW I need to learn that. Truth be told I never learned that song because it’s something I just want to keep a wow factor with. I’ve been a huge fan ever since. Went to my first concert of theirs on the worldwide tour but it was the one where syn had his baby so they canceled and the disappointment was huge for me. But fortunate enough they rescheduled a played an entire concert rather than the hour time slot Metallica gave them. I don’t think another band as dynamic as them will come along. All of the members are idols to and class acts. Thank A7X

Aightball

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Iowa
    aightball.wordpress.com
    I discovered them through The River by Good Charlotte. I’d had a couple of their songsbut didn’t know it was them. Jimmy ignited my muse, which had taken a long vacation from writing. I’ve since published a short story and am still writing.
    Like many, I now find immense comfort i So Far Away. My Mom passed away suddenly at the end of January and it hurts so much. But that song…it’s like they’ve taken my pain and written a song about it. The entire Nightmare album has a new meaning to me now.
    Today’s been rough in terms of grief but their music has seen me through, even if it’s been a snippet here and there. There’s a reason I say I’m a #DeathbatForLife.

Elton Breaux

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I first got into a7x when i saw the bat country video. I liked them but wasnt as big into them as i am now. Ive always loved bullet for my valentine. Then the album nightmare came out and i was hooked. Then jan 31st i went see the stage tour in biloxi ms. And i have barely put my guitar down since. Ive watched everything i can about synyster mfkn gates. Even went back and watched papa gates as guitar guy with jeff dunham. But now me my wife and all 4 of our daughters jam to A7X daily. (The stage tour was the best concert ever!!!!)

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    Well I remember listening to them as a kid when I would ride in my older brothers vehicles some times. I thought they were cool then started listening to them more in middle school. And then I started learning guitar and now both my brothers are amazed/jealous that I can play A7X songs! Baha! As far as coping, I lost a girl (17) from my church that I was friends with this past summer and like Kelly said “so far away” helped me get through the hurt and it helped me better understand the situation.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Tory Capman

One Stringer
    Nov 11, 2019
    I was 13, (almost 26 now) MySpace and had started to broaden my musical mind via music videos as had Guitar Hero. I was in my first year of guitar playing. I heard Beast and the Harlot in guitar hero and soon after found the music video on MySpace. It was odd to me but I really liked the guitar work so I moved on to Bat Country. That summer, when we had our big family vacation, my older cousin found out I liked a couple A7X songs. Since I already had Beast & Bat Country on my iPod, he burned me the rest of CoE album plus Unholy Confessiond and Second Heartbeat. I was in love. That Unholy Confessions riff with the dual guitars just blew my mind. I found all their music and bought it all. Played it over and over and never got sick of it. Then self titled came out. And they headlined Taste of Chaos ‘08 with Atryu and BFMV as openers. I had a closed head injury at 14 and was still recovering and had to get permission from my doctor to go to Taste of Chaos. (I would not have missed it had she said no). Luckily, I got the go ahead. This was my first concert ever. BFMV blew my mind. The crowd was insane! Attention was great.m! But then A7X came on. And I can’t describe the feeling that I got. The feeling I get still after seeing them 16 times. I was sold for life. The energy, the talent, the passion. And then the encore, A Little Piece of Heaven! I was mesmerized! The relationship I’ve had with their music and the existence of this band is unreal. They helped me through my first heartbreak. When my best friend joined the Navy. I fell in love with my now fiancé at a Sevenfold show in 2013 (which was our first date!) when our eyes met and I saw her singing along to every word of Bat Country which she’d heard for the first time two weeks prior! They helped me through the toughest times of my life. The day I heard the news of Jimmy passing, I cried. They’ve truly done something amazing, all while maintaining the strongest friendships possible. I’m so happy to see them with a drummer that really fits the role and vision they have. The passion Brooks has amplified is incredible. I’m proud to call myself a lifelong Avenged Sevenfold fan.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I first heard them right after they released Hail To The King, which I heard on the radio. I later saved their entire discography on Spotify and fell in love with everything. Not as complex as other stories but that’s how they grew to be my overall favorite band.

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I started listening to A7X back in 2016. My first album I heard from them was their Hail to the King album, and Carry On from BO2 was the first song I ever heard from the band! That didn’t only get me into A7x, but the metal genre altogether.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    For me it was the summer of 2009(which wasn’t particularly the best the time to get into them). My stepbrother showed me Beast And The Harlot and I was hooked. I heard it coming from his room before and did know they existed but I really was more into stuff like Bon Jovi and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Combining that with the fact that I really dislike screaming made me ignore A7x a lot at first. When I did find out that they actually sing they have basically been my favourite band ever since. And that comes from a guy who does not really like metal so they must be doing something right creatively and especially melodically.
    For me the whole city of evil record got me into playing guitar. Weirdly enough what got me through a rough time when I was in the hospital last year were mostly the Beatles. It is probably the only time after beig a fan I did not listen to Avenged sevenfold for like 3 weeks(which in hindsight I’m kinda haply about because the crazy stuff they do would probably have fried my brain)
    I will also be seeing them for the 4th time on the 12th of june

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I heard them for the first time in 2011. I was 12 years old and my sister said to me: “You have to check out this song” so I went to her room to listen to it and she played A little piece of heaven. I was so amazed by it, it was so different and I was staring at the screen watching this 9 minute long video and I knew this is something special. Right after the song finished I went back to my room and I played it again because the song was just incredible. Since then A7X became my favourite band and it always will be.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    To be honest I was accidentally introduced to a7x. I have a habit of putting YouTube on auto play while I study during exams. So last year I put on the song Holy wars by Megadeth. The auto play was changing the songs on its own as usual as I was lost in my stuff with C and C++. Suddenly I heard the intro of ” The stage”. I was blown away. I stopped whatever I was studying to listen to the song and see the band’s name. I discovered Godsmack the same way. Thanks to that auto play feature. Now I am a big fan a7x, Syn in particular.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    That reminds me of good times. Not sure how old I was, but I was not allowed to play ego shooter games. So I did it together at a friends. At that time I wasn’t into any specific kind of music, but I can remember Call of Duty Zombies with that friend and Sheperd of Fire came on. I loved it. I think the next song was Hail to the King.
    It must have been about a year more until I really got into (heavier) music, and listening to more bands when I rediscovered A7X. Almost Easy, Afterlife, Nightmare, these songs got stuck in my head. A7x was just way more melodic, guitar driven and technical from what else I knew.
    Just like with you @jak the song Buried Alive really got me. Actually it was the first ‘bigger thing’ I learned on guitar and I even drew an artwork of it!
    And since that time I am a really hughe Avenged fan and was fortunate enough to catch them last year in Luxembourg together with Disturbed (of which I drew another artwork lol)

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Birmingham, England.
    I’ve been a fan since I was around 12 years old, I’m now 27. I fell in love as soon as I heard sounding the seven trumpets. I walked straight into hmv, bought the album and had it on repeat. I’d always been a gnr fan since i was about 7 so when this came out I was in the very early stages of discovering this type of metal music. Bands like avenged sevenfold, bleeding through, trivium, bullet for my Valentine. To me though, avenged blew these guys and many others out the water. Songs like We come out at night was a light bulb moment. Being 12/13 and slightly immature I wrote A7X on everything from my school bag to my pencil cases to my school books and trainers lol. Since then I’ve never looked back. To me each album gets better and better, each one topping the last. Melody wise there aren’t many bands that can top them.
    These guys were one of my earliest gigs as well. I got to see them at the old Birmingham academy and was right at the front against the railings being crushed. The academy wasn’t a huge venue compared to what they play now. It was around the time they had just releases city of evil. I just remember staring at zacky V thinking how unusual and cool he dressed. People didn’t and don’t dress like that from round here. I was also in awe of Matt’s singing and stage presence. Plus what do you say about syn or the rev other than being blown away. I’ve seen them around 5 times since maybe, and they are some of the best concerts I’ve ever been too, especially the stage world tour.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    How many times have you all seen them since? I’ve only seen them 3 times, but 2 other times had tickets and once matts voice was done for so they cancelled and another time I just didn’t get a ride I was young.
    Weird for me to only see them 3 times when I’ve been listening to them for over 10 years lol. Thats how often they came to Canada up until now.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’m seeing Alice in Chains for the first time ever this year and I’ve been listening to them since I was 17 years old in high school. Almost 15 years.
    THere’s a few bands still on my bucket list too. I’ll tell you tho those 3 times I did see them have been the past 3 years, and at 12pm I’m looking for a 4th.

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    my story was a little bit different. Im originally from South Africa and when I was about 14 (now 30) I was at a friends house and he was teaching me guitar, i was about 4 weeks in to learning, he had been playing for 2 years and he really wanted a friend to be able to jam with so I thought why not. We were punk kids, Favourite band was Offspring and Sum41 and Blink, the usual punk bands and we were sitting watching MTV which was rare in South Africa, only the more rich families had access to those kind of shows and System of a Down came on and enlightened our world to more than just punk. Straight after System of a Down was Avenged with chapter four playing and the harmonies were super cool to us, So we sat the whole week learning that song and the harmonies to jam together. Been a fan ever since, still got a shirt I wear weekly of A7X, its super faded but I love it!
    I now live in the UK having recently moved, hope to one day see them live.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Probably around 2004, a friend’s kid mentioned them and thought I might like them. I did some quick searching for clips online (pickins were slim back then) and I didn’t especially care for what I heard. I don’t remember what song it was, but I thought Shadows sounded whiny and the Rev sounded ambitious but undisciplined. I heard POTENTIAL, but nothing I really LIKED.
    Then City of Evil came out and blew me away. Superfan ever since.

Bianca Long

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Short version: back in…2008, my (late) husband was deployed (Iraq) and I was alone for the first year of our kids’ life. I became very active on the LPMB (Linkin Park Message board) and a friend from there recommended them. When my husband came home after 15 months we discovered that we had both become huge fans, seperately. It was great.
    the follwoing years there was a lot of heartache (seperation, death, etc) but A7X was always there and an important part of my life.
    I got a deathbat tattoo in 2011 (my first).
    And even though Im not completely obsessed with them anymore, they will always be one of my favorite bands.
    I took my (then) 9 year old daughter to one of their shows last year (Bochum, Germany I think) because they’re her favorite band as well.
    ETA: I’ve seen them live 6 times now. Once at RaR (2011). Gonna see them again at Rock am Ring this year)