• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How did you start with tech?

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
Hey @Ed Seith I'm linking you in this but I'd like to leave this open to everyone. How did you start learning tech/hardware besides just jumping into it? Anything to practice or be mindful of? I have new pick-ups and tuning pegs coming in to start beefing up my strat with when I get to Japan. Planning on pretty much re doing the entire electronics on it. In another couple months or in a year I want to build a custom from a kit. What should I look up so I don't fuck it up? Thank you 😊

Reactions: Ed Seith

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
@Ids Schiere Sweet. What about electronics capability should I know or is that just something I'll find out when I get to it? My EMGs are going to come in a set with everything in it; pots, switches, wires and all. But I also got Syns passive pickups on black Friday sale for my future kit and those won't come with all of that

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
@Ids Schiere Sweet. What about electronics capability should I know or is that just something I'll find out when I get to it? My EMGs are going to come in a set with everything in it; pots, switches, wires and all. But I also got Syns passive pickups on black Friday sale for my future kit and those won't come with all of that
Something important to note is that you shouldn't put actives in a guitar made for passive pickups. For actives you need a battery for which you need to drill a hole in the body for a battery. In principle I think you can use existing switches and pots for new pickups but I'm honestly not sure about it. Current, voltage, impedance and all those thing are important too before you connect things.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
As a curiosity question, how would you get into the wood work on a guitar? In the event you do need to drill in for actives, or a trem. The body I have picked right now is passive and has a trem cut in already. But it has a bolt on Maple neck and a mahogany body. Can you bond those two together and then sand down to get more intrusive on the high end of the frets?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
As a curiosity question, how would you get into the wood work on a guitar? In the event you do need to drill in for actives, or a trem. The body I have picked right now is passive and has a trem cut in already. But it has a bolt on Maple neck and a mahogany body. Can you bond those two together and then sand down to get more intrusive on the high end of the frets?
Personally I would always let a professional do the woodwork.

Reactions: Kai C

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    So the big thing I am hesitant to try and would leave to a professional for a while is the inlays. Does drilling and filling mess with the tone or quality of wood? I mean you're removing wood.
    No. It doesn't. There are many videos on youtube showing it doesn't affect an electric guitar.
    There are also many videos on guitar building.
    I plan on doing that, someday. Completely from scratch, including the pickups but I might make a bass instead.

Reactions: Ed Seith and Kai C
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Active require special volume and tone pots and stuff and the battery. I have taped a battery ins did the electronics cavity before,but i wouldn't recommend it.

As for getting started altogether, it's bravery and trial and error,mostly. At least for me. I had my first guitar and i was just fearless with it. It helped that my dad had taught me to work with my hands and tools and stuff, and that he raised me believing you shouldn't pay someone to do something you could do yourself. I am still not very good at solder,but i can get it done. Trial and error. And now YouTube. Good luck!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So the big thing I am hesitant to try and would leave to a professional for a while is the inlays. Does drilling and filling mess with the tone or quality of wood? I mean you're removing wood.
    There are luthiery classes you can find in major cities that can teach that stuff. I don't get beyond moderately advanced maintenance.