• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do I keep what I learned, and apply it?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    So here's the Thing. Guitar is a Hobby for me, I don't practice hours and hours a day. I know that for some Things guitar you just have to put the time and effort in. I am talking about learning the fretboard, your scale(s) and that Kind of stuff.

So that's alright, with a little Bit every day you can do it. At least that's what I thought. But I don't have any way to directly apply it so by the time I move on to learn something different, I forget what I learned.

That makes it hard for me to sit down and practice all the learning stuff because it's nothing that Sticks with me.

How did some of you overcome this? Do you know what I am talking about?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    To add-on too, you really, really have to go with learning and playing as many existing songs as possible.

'Application' doesn't necessarily apply to when you wanna write songs. It applies when you are picking up or learning from somewhere(jamming to favorite songs, etc.).

The more you learn them, especially the solos, you'll start to find common patterns. They're gonna appear so common, that the only thing different from one song or solo to another would primarily the style and tone choice(amps, pedals, etc.).

The boring side will come to light as you start to compare one solo to the other, finding similarities and difference and that eureka moment of "now i get why these few dudes played it like this" or "oh so this could be where this came from".

Learn as much as you can from your favorites and your favorites' favorites. Keep the doors open and your music life will be much more colorful. Ask when unsure. Accept when being corrected. ;)

All the best, bro! :rock-hand:
    Gonna be honest. I don't play anyone's songs since I've started learning the theory behind it. I've covered a song from time to time but I've applied every lesson I've done into a song or two since I've started here. You are correct in saying you'll see patterns I've probably tried before maybe get new ideas. But to say you can't apply to theory without covering songs isn't 100% true. You just run out ideas fast where you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Learn new theory ideas
    2. Learn new songs or licks.

Can't say either is a bad route honestly. You'll develop your own style not playing covers. I already see my style and how it's developed the past 2 years. And I also see how it's different from any of my guitar inspirations. But I also hear their influences in my playing. I barely can remember an Alice in chains song but I hear Cantrell all over my material. Including the grundg pedal tone that I have and play with countlessly.

I guess you'll learn faster playing others stuff but for someone like me I definitely find myself writing songs more then playing songs.

Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Gonna be honest. I don't play anyone's songs since I've started learning the theory behind it. I've covered a song from time to time but I've applied every lesson I've done into a song or two since I've started here. You are correct in saying you'll see patterns I've probably tried before maybe get new ideas. But to say you can't apply to theory without covering songs isn't 100% true. You just run out ideas fast where you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Learn new theory ideas
    2. Learn new songs or licks.

Can't say either is a bad route honestly. You'll develop your own style not playing covers. I already see my style and how it's developed the past 2 years. And I also see how it's different from any of my guitar inspirations. But I also hear their influences in my playing. I barely can remember an Alice in chains song but I hear Cantrell all over my material. Including the grundg pedal tone that I have and play with countlessly.

I guess you'll learn faster playing others stuff but for someone like me I definitely find myself writing songs more then playing songs.
    I believe I didn't say we "can't apply". I mentioned "doesn't necessarily apply", which meant there are more than one way. Plus, as what you mentioned, we all have our own ways. Just sharing what works for me :)

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I believe I didn't say we "can't apply". I mentioned "doesn't necessarily apply", which meant there are more than one way. Plus, as what you mentioned, we all have our own ways. Just sharing what works for me :)
    I 100% agree it works. It probably will teach you more techniques from your influences honestly. But for me there's so much material that's come from just jamming lessons i have a hard time wanting to take the time to instead play a cover.. you may never remember that melody again. Gotta write those in the moments.

Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey man!

Everyone has already gave amazing answers here, but here's my two cents;

What PG said about using what you learn it is spot on.

The reason for learning the fretboard/scales is also a really important thing to be clear with yourself on, like if your learning them but not sitting down with a backing track improvising/jamming to a tune or writing with them, then they'll tend to leave your mind, as they won't be super useful to you.

The best way I can describe it is that you really learn the information you've studied when your ear hears it working and your hands are doing it on the fretboard - that's when it becomes more of a language than a bunch of shapes & jargon you might feel you need to remember. - You'll 100% get there with it. But you need to give your brain & hands time to remember it - much more than you think too 😂 as us guitarists can be impatient!

My advice would be to pick 1 thing and do it every day until it's second nature - be strict with the one thing - say it's using all 5 pentatonic patterns over an Am backing track on youtube. Just sit and enjoy jamming over the backing track and work out what you like and don't like about what you're doing, maybe even record it for yourself? Then do some trial and error and keep chipping away at it.

Making it a constant thing, but keeping it simple, to 1 topic will make it part of your playing, like it'll stay in your head, but more importantly it'll make its.way into your ears and your hands 👌

• Love
    Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Upvote 0

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey man!

Everyone has already gave amazing answers here, but here's my two cents;

What PG said about using what you learn it is spot on.

The reason for learning the fretboard/scales is also a really important thing to be clear with yourself on, like if your learning them but not sitting down with a backing track improvising/jamming to a tune or writing with them, then they'll tend to leave your mind, as they won't be super useful to you.

The best way I can describe it is that you really learn the information you've studied when your ear hears it working and your hands are doing it on the fretboard - that's when it becomes more of a language than a bunch of shapes & jargon you might feel you need to remember. - You'll 100% get there with it. But you need to give your brain & hands time to remember it - much more than you think too 😂 as us guitarists can be impatient!

My advice would be to pick 1 thing and do it every day until it's second nature - be strict with the one thing - say it's using all 5 pentatonic patterns over an Am backing track on youtube. Just sit and enjoy jamming over the backing track and work out what you like and don't like about what you're doing, maybe even record it for yourself? Then do some trial and error and keep chipping away at it.

Making it a constant thing, but keeping it simple, to 1 topic will make it part of your playing, like it'll stay in your head, but more importantly it'll make its.way into your ears and your hands 👌
    Thanks for your tips man! Definetly gonna do it that way, once I find a start

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection