• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do I practice?

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
Jan 22, 2021
Egypt
Hi. I just got my guitar and I've never played guitar before. I watched the first few beginner lessons and stopped at the major scale introduction. My question is how exactly should I practice right now? Like all I can do now is strum the strings to make sound. People always say keep practicing to get better. Just what exactly should I be doing at this very early stage? Thank you.

And Thank you to the people who were really helpful and gave me good advice about starting out.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
In the very early stage it's most important to have fun! You can try learning some easy songs like seven nation army but really just try to have fun!

Now what you can practice already is how to hold a pick and really start at the first lesson and get the exercises in there down too but try to find something that works for you! For me learning songs works and for other doing exercises works, we all learn differently

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Hi. I just got my guitar and I've never played guitar before. I watched the first few beginner lessons and stopped at the major scale introduction. My question is how exactly should I practice right now? Like all I can do now is strum the strings to make sound. People always say keep practicing to get better. Just what exactly should I be doing at this very early stage? Thank you.

And Thank you to the people who were really helpful and gave me good advice about starting out.
Find a song or a guitar part that you wanna achieve first.

It always helps to have a purpose at the beginning ;)

Cheers & have fun!

Reactions: Eslam Salem

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
Jan 22, 2021
Egypt
In the very early stage it's most important to have fun! You can try learning some easy songs like seven nation army but really just try to have fun!

Now what you can practice already is how to hold a pick and really start at the first lesson and get the exercises in there down too but try to find something that works for you! For me learning songs works and for other doing exercises works, we all learn differently
I didn't know I can already learn songs. I will definitely try. And will study the lessons as well. Thank you so much.

Reactions: Ed Seith

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    What I did first was learning the basic chords you can find in the lessons here, and practice the changes. When I got a little bit comfortable I picked a song I liked (you can even find an easy lesson on youtube or something) and gave it a try!! Most important thing is having fun!!
    Edit: and don't forget to use the metronome!!

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    What I did first was learning the basic chords you can find in the lessons here, and practice the changes. When I got a little bit comfortable I picked a song I liked (you can even find an easy lesson on youtube or something) and gave it a try!! Most important thing is having fun!!
    Edit: and don't forget to use the metronome!!
    Thanks. I'll try getting more comfortable with the chords but what exactly is a metronome?

Reactions: ari.mac

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks. I'll try getting more comfortable with the chords but what exactly is a metronome?
    A metronome is a device that marks the time by making a beep noise. You can set it at different speeds and you will have a certain number of beats per minute (according to your level) that you have to follow while playing to be sure to be on perfect timing. There are a lot of apps you can download for free and it will help you immensely to play on time!
    So let's say you want to practice chords, at the very beginning you can set your metronome to like 60 BPM (beats per minute) and strum that chord at the exact same moment of the beat sound.
    Papa Gates always use the metronome in his lessons so if you want, you can watch the lessons where he introduces chords and start to practice with him and the metronome!
    Sorry for my poor explanation but english is not my first language 😅 if someone can explain it better, please do!!!

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    A metronome is a device that marks the time by making a beep noise. You can set it at different speeds and you will have a certain number of beats per minute (according to your level) that you have to follow while playing to be sure to be on perfect timing. There are a lot of apps you can download for free and it will help you immensely to play on time!
    So let's say you want to practice chords, at the very beginning you can set your metronome to like 60 BPM (beats per minute) and strum that chord at the exact same moment of the beat sound.
    Papa Gates always use the metronome in his lessons so if you want, you can watch the lessons where he introduces chords and start to practice with him and the metronome!
    Sorry for my poor explanation but english is not my first language 😅 if someone can explain it better, please do!!!
    That was very clear thank you. And don't worry English is not my first language either so this a judge free zone😆

• Love
    Reactions: ari.mac

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    That was very clear thank you. And don't worry English is not my first language either so this a judge free zone😆
    Hi Eslam!

Hope you're still enjoying your journey. The metronome question comes up a lot, even from more seasoned players. Here's a basic primer I threw together last month.