• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do I teach someome play guitar?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I've been asked to teach my cousin play guitar. It's a one time thing. He has never played before. I figured I could teach him two chord shapes and the pentatonic, but after that I get lost. He probably is going to want to see an example or play a song, my mind will go blanc.

What should I show him as an introduction to guitar? All advice is welcome

Solution
    Hey Lindsey, I've taught loads of beginners over the years so these things could work for him 👉

-String names (You can use Elephants, And, Donkeys, Grow, Big, Ears (EADGBE) to help him remember the string letters) I usually then play a game where I mix up the letters and get the student to find the strings that I say, getting gradually quicker as we go.

- The Spider exercise - Shows him how to use all 4 fingers straight away by matching them to each fret and playing in order - 1234 on every string (This will usually highlight how Important thumb position is if they struggle to reach up to the low E string and it'll allow you to explain that)

- The very start of Metalica's Nothing Else Matters can be cool as a fun way to practice...

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    The C chord is important I'm not sure why
    Keyboards start on C, not sure how it's relevant but yeah
    a formula is C-E-G?
    i don't have my glasses on and i'm stepping out
    Because you’re usually taught in C major at first. It has no sharps or flats

Last edited:
    Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0